The case of the missing oil!?

ABNTGR

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello, I need some help!

2009 4.0. 130 k. I changed my oil yesterday and as I was pouring the old oil back in to the container for recycling I noticed only about 3 quarts drained out. I checked the dipstick after filling with new oil and it was ‘full’ and not over full by any means. There is no obvious dripping underneath or mess in the engine bay. No mess around the filter. There is some collection of oil between the trans and the transfer, but I don’t think that would be motor oil, would it?

Where would 2 quarts of oil go without leaving evidence? I recently passed emissions so I would think it’s not getting burned up, is that accurate?

I don’t check my oil religiously (I will now!) but I do check it and I haven’t had this problem I the past. I change every 5k and that seems very quick to lose 2 quarts.

Would there have been a warning light or other issues if It was 2 quarts low?

If it didn’t drain completely (some kind of blockage) then the dip stick would indicate an extra 2 quarts, and it doesn’t...

Any suggestions on what to check or what the issue may be?

Thanks in advance and happy Fathers Day if it applies!

I've seen the same thing multiple times on my explorer, my wifes accord, and my dads mustang. Of course each time I have seen it I had not checked the oil before i changed it, but I do check the oil on mine and my wifes fairly often, and I have never had to add any or seen the level drop..... I just chalk it up to magic.....

Stuck piston ring
Keep an eye on it

If it was me I would add marvel mystery oil
To my gas it will release the stuck ring s
It will clean and lubricate the rings and valves has worked for me in the past and will not hurt anything in your engine even if you add to much it's like $5 worth a shot

Back