The everything Aviator thread. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The everything Aviator thread.

The Aviator does have the Mustang 5 X 4.5 bolt pattern. We recently picked up some 20 inch Shelby Razor's for the wife's aviator.

DSC02591.jpg

I found this thread because I noticed you had a stumble/hesitation when your Aviator warms up? Our 2004 has been doing this too recently and it just turned 40K miles. Naturally I changed the fuel filter first, and it was definitely gunked up, but it doesn't seem to have fixed it.

This cannot be a fuel delivery problem. Considering the fairly large fuel pump that this thing has (and now a fresh fuel filter) it should be recieving more than enough fuel. I'm also ruling out the injectors because it only happens when you are cruising along at light throttle around 45 mph and give it gas.

The really baffling thing though is that it hasn't tripped a check engine light. I've never known a Ford COP ignition system to misfire and NOT trip the light. So I don't know how it could be plugs or any of the 8 coils.

Just checking with you folks to see if you have had any luck as this seems to be a very common issue.

Micah

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lookin good!

I recently changed plugs and developed a stumble/miss with no codes. It ended up being a COP. I switched them out one by one until I found the culprit (of course it was the 8th one:mad:)

So, definately check the COP's:thumbsup:

BTW, I have over 103,000 on mine now and the rear diff is a real howler :rolleyes: Wish I had $1k to get a reman pumpkin from Ericauto.

Nice to know we're not stuck with the usual odd Lincoln bolt pattern.....lots of options now!!!

I'll concur on no engine light and bad/intermittent COPs....had three go before the engine light came on in my mkviii. i was quite surprised with the power increase with all eight cylinders firing....lol....

not sure if you were referring to my stumble/hesitation....but mine is in the transmission....2-3 shift is sometimes hard, feels a bit like a stumble depending on throttle position. Turn the truck off....turn it back on, and fixes itself....to date I have only had this happen three times.

The Aviator does have the Mustang 5 X 4.5 bolt pattern. We recently picked up some 20 inch Shelby Razor's for the wife's aviator.

DSC02591.jpg

I found this thread because I noticed you had a stumble/hesitation when your Aviator warms up? Our 2004 has been doing this too recently and it just turned 40K miles. Naturally I changed the fuel filter first, and it was definitely gunked up, but it doesn't seem to have fixed it.

This cannot be a fuel delivery problem. Considering the fairly large fuel pump that this thing has (and now a fresh fuel filter) it should be recieving more than enough fuel. I'm also ruling out the injectors because it only happens when you are cruising along at light throttle around 45 mph and give it gas.

The really baffling thing though is that it hasn't tripped a check engine light. I've never known a Ford COP ignition system to misfire and NOT trip the light. So I don't know how it could be plugs or any of the 8 coils.

Just checking with you folks to see if you have had any luck as this seems to be a very common issue.

Micah

As an update, I pulled all the plugs and compared them to try and find the one that was misfiring. The driver, rear most bank (#8?) looked like it had a little more carbon build up on the porcelain. But otherwise the plugs looked good for 42K miles and the valleys and coils, etc... were as clean as a whistle, no moisture, etc... But I changed the coil on that cylinder with a Duralast coil and so far so good. It may have fixed that slight stumble.

I can't believe how easy it is to access all of the plugs. I had em all out in 10 minutes.

WoW I think it took me 3 hours to do plugs and wires on my Ex with alot of unpleasantries. Great lookin Aviator-they seem to have come down in price according to kbb. May have to consider it one of these days.

I'm guessing you have the SOHC 4.6L with the plugs placed low by the exhaust manifold primaries. This DOHC 4.6 has a cover in the middle of the valve covers. You pop it off and drop a socket/extension combo down each hole to reach the plug, but you never hit anything around the motor like the brake master cylinder or firewall. Really roomy.

Plus there are no wires to mess with on the DOHC.

I have the 4.0 OHV V6 (95 only engine available). I was assuming with your V8 there would be even less room to do plugs etc. Getting more jealous.... Heh Heh

Hey yall. I have a 2004 Aviator all stock except for 20" chrome rims. Will try and post some pics soon. Thanks for all the great info. This thread was very informative!!

Just an update, our Aviator is not only stumbling again, but now the engine is dying out while driving, and refiring. All with no check engine light.

I'm pretty sure this is an ignition problem because when it dies, it coughs out a cloud of black smoke which is an indication of unburnt fuel passing throught he exhaust. All of this is with 43K miles now.

I'm still leaning toward a bad coil or coils. I'll be picking up a set of 03/04 Mustang Cobra coils soon to see if that fixes the problem. I'm already thinking that heat is killing the coils and when you consider that they are fully capped off under the valve cover, the heat from the cylinder head has to get intense.

I think the ultimate solution will be to ventilate the coil covers (Drilling holes in them) or converting over to dual coil packs and plug wires like the 96-98 DOHC 4.6L Cobra's had. I know these guys are simply plugging in harness adapters and converting their earlier Cobras to "coil on plug" ignition with no drama, so I don't see why it couldn't be reverse engineered for us.

These motors work in other applications and there is no reason to put up with this stumbling/shaking crap just because it is in a Aviator.

Interesting idea....i think i might a COP or two going out, have to start researching this.....

I had an unfortunate update on my Avi....trans gave it up. Got it rebuilt right though I think(so far so good). Found a local guy who does alot with MkVIII's(has one with a "built" Lightning motor in it, complete with pulley sticking outta the hood....claims 650hp AND 650ftlb/tq). Supposed to take a ride in the beast when the weather gets better.

Just an update, our Aviator is not only stumbling again, but now the engine is dying out while driving, and refiring. All with no check engine light.

I'm pretty sure this is an ignition problem because when it dies, it coughs out a cloud of black smoke which is an indication of unburnt fuel passing throught he exhaust. All of this is with 43K miles now.

I'm still leaning toward a bad coil or coils. I'll be picking up a set of 03/04 Mustang Cobra coils soon to see if that fixes the problem. I'm already thinking that heat is killing the coils and when you consider that they are fully capped off under the valve cover, the heat from the cylinder head has to get intense.

I think the ultimate solution will be to ventilate the coil covers (Drilling holes in them) or converting over to dual coil packs and plug wires like the 96-98 DOHC 4.6L Cobra's had. I know these guys are simply plugging in harness adapters and converting their earlier Cobras to "coil on plug" ignition with no drama, so I don't see why it couldn't be reverse engineered for us.

These motors work in other applications and there is no reason to put up with this stumbling/shaking crap just because it is in a Aviator.

jealous? yeah....as much of a pain these things can be, not to mention the horrible gas mileage....they are a fantastic ride. Just wish they had the stock airride like the other lincolns....some love it, some hate it.....but riding on air is definitely "smooth"....i love the ride of my mkviii....would never convert it

and yeah....that Avi V8 is a MONSTER for being stock...

I have the 4.0 OHV V6 (95 only engine available). I was assuming with your V8 there would be even less room to do plugs etc. Getting more jealous.... Heh Heh

Another update:
---------
NHTSA Item Number: 10021944
Service Bulletin #: 0706
Replacement #:
Vehicle/Equipment Make: LINCOLN
Vehicle/Equipment Model: AVIATOR
Model Year: 2004
Mfg Component Code: 980000 OTHER
Date of Bulletin: 2007-05-21
Date Added: 2007-06-27
Summary: EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE ON IGNITION COIL ASSEMBLIES. *KB
------------

This is a TSB on ford COP ignitions that extends the warranty to 10 year/100,000 miles. It covers the 03-05 Aviator and many other vehicles. We took the wifes Aviator in to the local dealer and they stress tested the coils. They found the #2 coil to be bad, so they replaced it free of charge. We are the 3rd owners and the mileage is at 45,000. It was previously misfiring so bad that the vehicle would stall out in traffic once or twice when driving it.

They appear to be using the same coils again, so they aren't really "Fixing" the problem. You just get another new coil until one goes bad and then keep going in. I really wish they would just figure out the problem because I'm about ready to swap in a 1996-1998 Cobra dual coil pack/plug wire ignition system as I think that would be the real fix.

In the past couple months I've been getting tons of PMs on doing the Truxxx lift.

Here's a link to my old thread with much more information.
Very useful info.
TRUXXX spacers installed on 3rd Gens - How To

Most important thing I can say is to buy the 13mm flex head ratchet and a bunch of extra 8M 1.25thread nuts before you even think about starting. I don't know how it could be done without these. Also, do new ball joints when you do the lift. They are cheap and easy to do and it's worth the piece of mind.

And just to confirm, I did trade in my Aviator in October. I put the stock chrome wheels back on, left the lift on and the dealer gave me $9k for it. I was happy to with that. Went to an F350 diesel. Needed a little more pulling power to yank around my 6,000lb boat on long trips to Erie to fish.

However, feel free to continue to reach out to me via PM or here with questions I'm happy to help a Ford guy in need.

RIP Aviator... Been a hell of a ride.
One hand on the wheel, one hand on the bottle, one foot in the grave, one foot on the throttle...

Thanks

So I have had quite a bit of trouble with my Aviator these past few weeks. I've been dealing with a slow leak since January and 2 weeks ago, my check engine light came on and blinked for awhile and eventually stayed on. I got the code read and it turned out to be a cylinder number 8 misfire. Thankfully I remembered this thread and instead of having Pep Boys run a diagnostic, I took the car to the Lincoln dealer. I had 98,800 miles at the time and the TSB extended the warranty of the ignition coils to 100,000 miles so I was in the clear it seemed.

The dealer told me I would be responsible for the $90 diagnostic if the issue was something other than the ignition coils and I decided to risk it. Fortunately they found the problem to be the ignition coils AND spark plugs for both cylinders 7 and 8. They replaced all four of those parts for me and I walked out of there in less than and hour and a half and paid nothing.

Unfortunately, my leaky tire was a lot more trouble. I first took it to Pep Boys and they couldn't find the leak so the just replaced the bead and rebalanced the tire for $15. A week later I was down by 10 PSI so I took it back. This time they found the tire leaking from a small area around the bead. They replaced the bead again, this time, free of course. A week later, same thing. I was sick of leaving my car there and waiting for it so I just left my wheel with them and decided to run on my full-size spare until they found the fix.

They told me they found it for sure this time. Apparently it was leaking from the TPMS valve stem. That was my theory from the start because I had already had to replace one of those for corroding and leaking. They had the part in stock so they installed it for $65. Not too bad. But next week, down by 10 PSI again, then 10 more the next day. So I left the wheel with them and threw the spare back on.

A few days later I get the call that they had found the problem for sure. An area on the inside of my rim had become so corroded that it was now porous, allowing aire to seep through. I was afraid this would happen one day, as I have the upgrade chrome rims that have always peeled to no end! The guy told me at this point I'll need to replace the rim. Instead of replacing the one leaky chrome rim, I figured it would be best to replace them all because the other 3 can't be far behind.

Although I've wanted to upgrade to 20s for awhile, I decided I should stay with 17s because I have a set of perfectly fine tires that were quite expensive new. I looked around Craigslist the next day and spotted a set of Mustang SVT Cobra wheels that had all the exact specs of my OEM chrome wheels, except for being a half inch wider. I made the 10 minute drive to go see them and left with them for $350. From there I headed to Pep Boys and had them mount, balance, rotate, and install decorative chrome locking lug nuts, all for $120.

I'm sad to the the Aviator's nice looking chromes go, but am really happy with the way the SVT rims look on the car. They indeed look wider and are a deeper dish design which looks really agressive.
Hopefully I get a nice break from the Aviator's shenanigans as I near 100K miles... we'll see...

I plan on looking at an Aviator for my wife tonight. Its a ceramic white 2003 with 32,000 miles.
Looks to have all the options minus chrome wheels. Going to see what they will give me on trade for my '96 198,000 explorer and '98 68,000 explorer.
Anyone have any info on lowering springs? I know both myself and my wife would rather lift it, but all my other vehicles are already lifted so i was thinking of maybe lowering it just a little....

I'm baaaaaaccccckkkkk

Would love to see some pics of your Avi with the SVTwheels. I too have the tire pressure problem on one wheel and chrome wheels....have just been refilling every week or so, but I know its hard on the tire. Really want to get some 20"s too......and even lower it an inch or two...nothing drastic, or even really noticeable, but subtle enough to fill wheel gap. ....and make it a bit easier to get into...

On a completely different note...more troubles for my Avi....CEL came on other day...my usually cool autozone pulled code P0171....but wouldnt reset the computer("company policy")....though they had done it a hundred times before.....

anyway, yeah from what i can tell it can be anything from the 02 sensors, to cats, FI, MAF, or PCV leak.....

here is the odd part....wife had to continue to drive it until i got my car driveable(just a couple days...yeah i know....). so on her way home from work she stops, shuts it of and then it not start on her at all(and she frantically calls me of course). I get to the scene of the crime and sure enough, plenty of juice to the battery, but just a real fast "clicking" noise...sounded like motor was seized. Also noticed a "low oil pressure" message for the first time. Well we think the worst and leave it to come home and do some research here and on other 4.6 forums, go back in an hour, fires right up, but has slight stumble at idle. I shut it off and disconnect the battery cable in hopes of clearing codes to see if they come back. Well either I didnt wait long enough, or the codes are the real deal....they popped up immediately. I was only a block or so from my house, so I just hopped in and made it home(before it got towed)....ran just fine, plenty of good clean oil.

So...opinions of where to start on this one? I am leaning towards the PCV and its hose(I hear they crack and lose vacuum? But what about this low oil pressure thing, is it real, or just a byproduct of something else faulty?

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated...and yeah i know...shoulda parked it when the cel came on....just wasnt an option at the time.

Thanks......Nate

So I have had quite a bit of trouble with my Aviator these past few weeks. I've been dealing with a slow leak since January and 2 weeks ago, my check engine light came on and blinked for awhile and eventually stayed on. I got the code read and it turned out to be a cylinder number 8 misfire. Thankfully I remembered this thread and instead of having Pep Boys run a diagnostic, I took the car to the Lincoln dealer. I had 98,800 miles at the time and the TSB extended the warranty of the ignition coils to 100,000 miles so I was in the clear it seemed.

The dealer told me I would be responsible for the $90 diagnostic if the issue was something other than the ignition coils and I decided to risk it. Fortunately they found the problem to be the ignition coils AND spark plugs for both cylinders 7 and 8. They replaced all four of those parts for me and I walked out of there in less than and hour and a half and paid nothing.

Unfortunately, my leaky tire was a lot more trouble. I first took it to Pep Boys and they couldn't find the leak so the just replaced the bead and rebalanced the tire for $15. A week later I was down by 10 PSI so I took it back. This time they found the tire leaking from a small area around the bead. They replaced the bead again, this time, free of course. A week later, same thing. I was sick of leaving my car there and waiting for it so I just left my wheel with them and decided to run on my full-size spare until they found the fix.

They told me they found it for sure this time. Apparently it was leaking from the TPMS valve stem. That was my theory from the start because I had already had to replace one of those for corroding and leaking. They had the part in stock so they installed it for $65. Not too bad. But next week, down by 10 PSI again, then 10 more the next day. So I left the wheel with them and threw the spare back on.

A few days later I get the call that they had found the problem for sure. An area on the inside of my rim had become so corroded that it was now porous, allowing aire to seep through. I was afraid this would happen one day, as I have the upgrade chrome rims that have always peeled to no end! The guy told me at this point I'll need to replace the rim. Instead of replacing the one leaky chrome rim, I figured it would be best to replace them all because the other 3 can't be far behind.

Although I've wanted to upgrade to 20s for awhile, I decided I should stay with 17s because I have a set of perfectly fine tires that were quite expensive new. I looked around Craigslist the next day and spotted a set of Mustang SVT Cobra wheels that had all the exact specs of my OEM chrome wheels, except for being a half inch wider. I made the 10 minute drive to go see them and left with them for $350. From there I headed to Pep Boys and had them mount, balance, rotate, and install decorative chrome locking lug nuts, all for $120.

I'm sad to the the Aviator's nice looking chromes go, but am really happy with the way the SVT rims look on the car. They indeed look wider and are a deeper dish design which looks really agressive.
Hopefully I get a nice break from the Aviator's shenanigans as I near 100K miles... we'll see...

...and again....lol

Well after looking a boring and depressing engine failure causes, I decided to look at some wheels to make me wanna keep my Avi...lol....seems logical to me....no?

Anyway Micha.... What size tires are you running on those rims? Do you have any other specs on the rims...width, offset? Are they already TPS, did you add it, or just disable it?

Anyone else with this info please feel free to chime in....looks like ill be on the boards for a while tonight......:D

Thanks..... Nate

DSC02591.jpg

Micah

Oh man i have always wanted one of these and all of y'alls look great!
Maybe someday. Not sure id be brave enough to lift a Lincoln though. o_O

Joined awhile ago, but hadn't found this thread yet

Like someone else said, it's kind of weird being separated from the explorer mountaineer of the same era due to the similarities.

Here's my 03 kh on 20"s. Black lugs & center caps on back order.

kp02-150-albums-2003+avi-picture173411-wheels.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Beautiful Aviator!

Im going to order the same spacers from truxxx.

Have you had any problems with your ball joints?

Did you put a locker on your differential?

Thank's.

Back