The everything Aviator thread. | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The everything Aviator thread.

sealed & unserviceable

It looks like the unit is sealed and unserviceable. I suggest disconnecting the linkage from the lever and attempting to rotate the lever manually to determine if crud in the manifold is preventing movement. The 1997 and 1998 Explorers had IMRC activated by a vacuum motor above 3,000 rpm. Because of infrequent activation the crud buildup would eventually prevent it from working.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Air shut off assy/ IMRC linkage bushings and vacuum hose

It looks like the unit is sealed and unserviceable. I suggest disconnecting the linkage from the lever and attempting to rotate the lever manually to determine if crud in the manifold is preventing movement. The 1997 and 1998 Explorers had IMRC activated by a vacuum motor above 3,000 rpm. Because of infrequent activation the crud buildup would eventually prevent it from working.

Thanks. I am going to look for a vacuum hose and I will try to move the valves manually as I think I felt the loose linkage anyway. Mna it's hard to get back there with man hands. :hammer:I bought some bushings and will try them also. Cross your fingers!

Thanks for a Great Site/Forum and Moderators!

I just want to thank the Moderators for helping this forum become an excellent place to share knowledge. I have learned, repaired and saved so much money from this site!
A couple of my posts were denied on other sites when I posted links to "competing" forums including this one. We all know that in order to get a complete explanation sometimes we need to go to many different places.

Thank you for allowing links and making life just a bit easier for us!:chug:

Need a little help here. Im trying to replace my upper ball joint by itself but I dont know if I can just press it out or do i have to purchase the whole control arm with the ball joint already attached. i have a 2005 Lincoln Aviator.

Thanks. I ordered the ball joint by themselves from Rock Auto and they had the part that said it fit my vehicle so thats weird they would sell it if the whole thing needed to be replaced. The part number on it was K80008....That being said I looked on there website for the whole control arm that comes with the ball joint already attached but I see there is an "Upper right and a Upper left". Im assuming you need different ones for each side. Does that sound correct?

hydraulic press?

I see what you mean. There are no mounting tabs for bolts but if you have a hydraulic press you may be able to remove the old one and press in the new one. I doubt that a lever type press will be strong enough to remove or install one.

That's what Im wondering. I was going to rent a 23 piece ball joint press set from Advanced Auto Parts and press it out but Im not sure if its even worth going to get if it cant be pressed out. From the look of it it looks like it could but Im not to sure.

This is exactly what I needed to see. Thanks.

I replaced both upper bal joints on my 2005 lincoln aviator but the problem still exist. When driving I hear this "Thumping sound that thumps in rotation to the driver side tire. I have checked the tire and it is still good. There are no knots in it and the thread is still good on it. When driving straight or turning left the sound is almost gone. But as soon as I do the slightest turn to the right you can hear the thumping noise again. Upon doing a little research it sounds like I may have a wheel bearing problem on the driver side. I have yet done the test of raising the car up and shaking the wheel to see but I plan too. Can anybody confirm if this sounds like it could be a wheel bearing issue? And if so can someone help me with find the correct part number for a wheel bearing for a 2005 lincoln aviator. Or is there possibly a thread about this. Thanks

Turn signals dirty

I am a new owner of a 2005 Aviator. The turn signal lights on both side view mirrors have dirt and moisture in them. I cannot find the way to take them out to clean them. Help? Thanks

Same exact issue here, my turn signals are so dirty (on the mirrors) they look like they have been tinted, but the color is inconsistent, so they are dirty. It is purely an esthetic issue, but I have to look at it every day! Anyhow, bought my 2005 Aviator 2 days ago, and am in love with this vehicle!

Anyone taken the mirrors apart? I just don't want to break anything. Thanks! Love the site!

Same exact issue here, my turn signals are so dirty (on the mirrors) they look like they have been tinted, but the color is inconsistent, so they are dirty. It is purely an esthetic issue, but I have to look at it every day! Anyhow, bought my 2005 Aviator 2 days ago, and am in love with this vehicle!

Anyone taken the mirrors apart? I just don't want to break anything. Thanks! Love the site!

Don't just try to pop out your turn signal. You need to move the mirror all the way towards the truck and undo a screw in the housing first if memory serves me.

Does anybody know the part number for the wheel bearing and hub assembly for a 2005 Lincoln Aviator automatic?

Thanks. That's the page I was just at and I see a few different part numbers on them and didn't know if it mattered which one I got. I was thinking about the WJB WA515050 one...Do you think that one should be fine?

Thanks. That's the page I was just at and I see a few different part numbers on them and didn't know if it mattered which one I got. I was thinking about the WJB WA515050 one...Do you think that one should be fine?

I see what you mean, that picture doesn't look right. You'll want one with the ABS sensor already installed unless you think you can remove the sensor from your old assembly and install it on the new one.

Personally, I used Timken. Amazon has them;
http://www.amazon.com/Timken-SP4702...3+lincoln+aviator+wheel+bearing+hub+assembly'

Id rather just buy it with the assembly. Do you see a part number with that one on it? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys Im having trouble finding where I can start a new thread and ask about this problem that Im having with my 2005 Lincoln aviator. Basically my problem is that my bright lights will not turn off at all. Even when the car is off and the key is out of the ignition. I have had to take out the number 20 fuse just so my battery wont die and avoid driving at night. My vehicle has automatic lights but even the nob that's in charge of turning them off wont work. Only thing slightly noticeable is that the "Turn signal" handle that has the bright light on and off switch attached to it...feels slightly loose. Any help here would be great or if you can tell me how to start a new thread would be nice also. Thanks

Back