The Ex Is Getting Painted. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Ex Is Getting Painted.

So i was looking at my truck not knowing what color it actually is. People say its gold but at walmart i found the touch up paint and a "mocha frost" seems to fit quite nicely i guess. But while im here at school learning how to paint and all that..what better to paint the my old explorer? Haven't really decided on a color yet, wanting something different a non factory color. Right now im looking at a burnt orange base/clear and a 2k primer. for a gallon of both of those with all the reducer and catalyst im looking at around $800 for it.

Anyways...back to the whole point of this thread. Ill be documenting my progress thru the painting of my explorer and try to get as in depth as i can.

Here are a few colors i found out of a House Of Kolor Kandy section.
0212091812.jpg

0212091811a.jpg

0212091811.jpg

After a days worth of work, this is how my hood looks. Got alot of hail damage which is what all the blue spots are from.

0212092021.jpg

0212091808.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i still say burnt orange. house of kolors pop like crazy, but it also comes at a price (but well worth it). if i can suggest something that my help you out on your hood. if you take the insulation off from underneath it and run a bead of urethane (like the stuff for windshields), or seam sealer, on the ribbing of your hood, it will stiffen up the skin of your hood greatly, and take most of the "oil can" out of it.

Yea. that oil canning has become not a good friend to me. Had to remud a few times because of it.

And the Kandy i have no clue how much it will cost...but my instructor said somewhere around 2 grand

Yea. that oil canning has become not a good friend to me. Had to remud a few times because of it.

And the Kandy i have no clue how much it will cost...but my instructor said somewhere around 2 grand

i feel your pain. when i was sanding the hood on my truck (and there was no damage) but the paint was checked (or looks like it is cracking) i was afraid of warping the hell out of it. my buddy told me to do that trick, and low and behold, it worked very well. you just put it on, then smooth it out with your finger, and let it set up overnight. as for the cost, your instructor is being generous. i have heard some house of kolors paints running upwards of 5 grand, that's just the paint. no reducer, no hardener. look into PPG vibrance. that is what the guy used on the flames on my truck, and they pop big time (the pictures do not realy do it any justice at all). that and, PPG is way cheaper then house of kolors.

as for the cost, your instructor is being generous. i have heard some house of kolors paints running upwards of 5 grand, that's just the paint. no reducer, no hardener. look into PPG vibrance. that is what the guy used on the flames on my truck, and they pop big time (the pictures do not realy do it any justice at all). that and, PPG is way cheaper then house of kolors.

But the thing is that with me being a student at NADC i get a discount at colormatch here in Nashville which carries Nason, Dupont and House Of Kolor.

Im going to try to get HOK if i can. Its the Kandy i dont think ill be able to get.

go for big goldflakes in a medium green.

So i walk into the body shop today and see this sitting on a stand. Its a piece of aluminum painted black and then a grinder was taken to it 3 times with 3 candy's layered over it. Red, Tangerine, and Yellow. It then had 3 coats of clear put on, and then blocked. That process was repeated 3 times untill 9 coats of clear were put on and then it was buffed. What do you guys think about doing something like that to an EX?
0217091414.jpg

But it would be awesome. Something i havent seen on a car. Make it look like a little kid did it, but in an orderly way so it looks decent. The guy who did that was going to try doing flames like that next.

Very unique but I think it would get old real quick. I agree with going with orange, still unique.

Very unique but I think it would get old real quick. I agree with going with orange, still unique.

Why would it get old? Anything thats unique and draws attention will get old given enough time. Or at least it would for me. Im just wanting something different.

I priced some "Jazzy Blue" by Dupont's Hot Hues and it would cost me around $900 for the paint. Looks good tho. A buddy of mine said he would kill me if i did that tho, saying it wasnt worth it and all that.

Thats all I meant, the paint may get old to you after awhile. It is definitely unique though. To me, it is really what the person likes that matters. I have always preferred mono chromatic paint schemes (no flames/stripes etc), but after seeing vroomzoomboom's truck with the flames I would love to have them on my X. I really like Foose's 2 tone paintschemes lately as well. Would love to get the hood/roof of my X painted a metallic black and leave the lower half the Willow Green. No matter what you do, based on the paint colors and paints you have shown it would look great!

Why would it get old? Anything thats unique and draws attention will get old given enough time. Or at least it would for me. Im just wanting something different.

I priced some "Jazzy Blue" by Dupont's Hot Hues and it would cost me around $900 for the paint. Looks good tho. A buddy of mine said he would kill me if i did that tho, saying it wasnt worth it and all that.

well i can tell you this. my truck has been done for a little over a month now, and everyone, I MEEN EVERYONE stares at it, and it is winter here still. not summer. the one thing that dose get old is having everyone looking at you all the time. but i still like the way it looks, i just don't like that fact that if i ever smack it up, or some arsehole keys it, dents it ect., is trying to match the paint, and the flames. that is one thing you will have to keep in mind as well.

Back