The Ford order/build/deliver timeline. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Ford order/build/deliver timeline.

Hi All,
I was pleasantly surprised with the timeframe for my 2016 Limited 4WD. I ordered from the dealer in Alberta, Canada, on July 15, got the vin almost immediately, and received the window sticker the first week of August, with a build date of the 15th. I had the keys in my hand on September 1st :)

I found the FordService staff on this site, Mathieu and Todd to be excellent (MUCH more helpful than my dealer). Mathieu in particular was great as he is the Canadian rep and kept me up to date on my truck's status.

When I ordered, my dealer told me it would be 6-8 weeks, but truthfully I was expecting 8-10. Overall, a good experience, and I'm loving my new car! Getting lots of compliments on it too!

Jacquie

Hi Jacquie!

Thanks for the kind words :) :thumbsup:
Just performing my duty! :salute:
Enjoy the Explorer! We'll be here if you need anything.

Have a nice day,

Mathieu

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered a Platinum on July 15, got my VIN about two weeks later, was told I'd have a build during the week of September 21 (yeah next week) and just got an ETA to the dealer of October 22.

How come getting closer makes it harder to wait?

TW

I ordered a Platinum on July 15, got my VIN about two weeks later, was told I'd have a build during the week of September 21 (yeah next week) and just got an ETA to the dealer of October 22.

How come getting closer makes it harder to wait?

TW
Just like Christmas. :D

Peter

Ordered my sport in May, still waiting on it. Supposedly waiting on a part. Was told it was built middle of August.

Job Version?

Can someone tell me what the current job version is for a 2016 XLT? Job 1? Job 2, etc?

Thanks.

Platinum--Time To Ship From Build Date

Good Morning Folks,

As the title states, I'm wondering how long it is taking to ship and actually arrive at your dealer. Please include your state, city, or whatever your comfortable with. And this is from your build date.

Thanks, in advance, for your responses.

TW

Good Morning Folks,

As the title states, I'm wondering how long it is taking to ship and actually arrive at your dealer. Please include your state, city, or whatever your comfortable with. And this is from your build date.

Thanks, in advance, for your responses.

TW

Wow,

A whole bunch of lookers but no responses.

TW

Wow,

A whole bunch of lookers but no responses.

TW

Allow me to get the ball rolling. Per its window sticker, my Explorer Platinum was scheduled to be built on September 22. Ford's ETIS system shows a build date of September 23, so perhaps production started on September 22 and the vehicle was completed on September 23.

At approximately 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, September 26, my Platinum was loaded on a Norfolk Southern railcar (Autorack railcar) at the Hegewisch Terminal near Ford's Chicago Assembly Plant. At 2:00 a.m. on Sunday, September 27 (today), the railcar departed Norfolk Southern's 47th Street Freight Yard in Chicago, attached to Norfolk Southern train Number 22K.

My Explorer is now traveling east through Ohio toward its destination in Ayer, Massachusetts. If the train remains on schedule, I expect my Explorer to be available at 8:00 a.m. on Tuesday, September 29 for transport to my local Ford dealer.

I don't know how long it will take to move my Explorer from the freight yard in Ayer to my dealer about 10 miles away, but I'd expect it's only a day or two.

I hope this info is helpful.

My Explorer Ltd was ordered June 27, and I've yet to receive it. The manufacturer is not saying anything, the dealer knows nothing, though they've allowed me to use a vehicle in the interim. I'm beyond frustrated. Latest update was it's at the railyard awaiting pickup.... For 2 weeks atm. I've called Ford, the dealer GM, the owner, next is direct dial to Henry Ford. If I hadn't customized this vehicle, I'd look elsewhere. But my heart is set. At least I can put miles on the loaner...

My Explorer Ltd was ordered June 27, and I've yet to receive it. The manufacturer is not saying anything, the dealer knows nothing, though they've allowed me to use a vehicle in the interim. I'm beyond frustrated. Latest update was it's at the railyard awaiting pickup.... For 2 weeks atm. I've called Ford, the dealer GM, the owner, next is direct dial to Henry Ford. If I hadn't customized this vehicle, I'd look elsewhere. But my heart is set. At least I can put miles on the loaner...

If you are close to the rail yard, your dealer should just go get it. Mine fell off the radar for a few days and when it was trackable again, dealer just sent someone to get it.and I had it same day.

My Ford Explorer Platinum timeline.

1- Saturday August 15,2015 , placed order with my Dealer in New Jersey.

2- Tuesday August 18,2015 Ford received my order Confirmed by Tricia

3- Friday September 18,2015 Ford issued VIN# Confirmed by Tricia

4- Monday September 29 ,2015 Built date schedule week of October 19, 2015

Window Sticker will be provided about a week before built date. So I am probably looking at a November delivery date at my dealer just in time for Thanksgiving.

2016 Ford Explorer Platinum in White Platinum Tricoat
Second Row Bucket Seats with Center Console
Dual Headrest DVD System
Roof Rail CrossBars
Splash Guards
Wheel Locks

After market accessories,
Dark WeatherTech In channel side window deflectors
WeatherTech Cargo liner
Ionic CXV Running Boards
20 % window tint for front windows to match rest of the Explorer.

I will post photos once all these items have been installed in the Explorer. :):)

My 2013 Ford Explorer Sport

B46-B93F6EBB3A2E-4877-000001C1EF82CB96_zpsf9c693b0.jpg

ExplorerSport22_zpscfb94721.jpg

Wow, great info

Allow me to get the ball rolling. Per its window sticker, my Explorer Platinum was scheduled to be built on September 22. Ford's ETIS system shows a build date of September 23, so perhaps production started on September 22 and the vehicle was completed on September 23.

At approximately 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, September 26, my Platinum was loaded on a Norfolk Southern railcar (Autorack railcar) at the Hegewisch Terminal near Ford's Chicago Assembly Plant. At 2:00 a.m. on Sunday, September 27 (today), the railcar departed Norfolk Southern's 47th Street Freight Yard in Chicago, attached to Norfolk Southern train Number 22K.

My Explorer is now traveling east through Ohio toward its destination in Ayer, Massachusetts. If the train remains on schedule, I expect my Explorer to be available at 8:00 a.m. on Tuesday, September 29 for transport to my local Ford dealer.

I don't know how long it will take to move my Explorer from the freight yard in Ayer to my dealer about 10 miles away, but I'd expect it's only a day or two.

I hope this info is helpful.

Just curious, where did all of this info come from? Ford Customer Service? Hope you get it this week!!!

Just curious, where did all of this info come from? Ford Customer Service? Hope you get it this week!!!

While Ford Customer Service (a/k/a Tricia) is an excellent resource for vehicle status info here, you can't get much beyond your VIN, estimated build date, and estimated time of arrival at your dealer. It's not that Tricia doesn't want to give out additional info like railcar number; I believe she doesn't have access to it.

To gather the info I posted about my Explorer Platinum, I spent hours scouring the Internet to learn about things like intermodal freight, conditions of carriage, and Autorack railcars. I visited websites run by railroad enthusiasts and other websites run by people who enjoy taking photographs of freight trains. I never realized how much railroad activity happened every day and night all across this country!

After determining the origin and destination for my Explorer, I was able to identify the three railroad companies involved with the transport of the vehicle from Chicago to Ayer, Massachusetts. I made several phone calls and received the railcar number from a helpful railroad employee. The employee also volunteered the info about when and where my Explorer was loaded onto the Autorack railcar. No doubt, I was lucky to get this info.

Once I had the name of the railroad company and the railcar number, I found out how to track the railcar's location. I think I discovered this info at another automotive forum, but I can't recall exactly where it was published.

BTW, you should be able to get a railcar number and its location from your Ford dealer. Ask your salesman to generate a "Vehicle Visibility" report for you. I could have done the same, but then I would have missed out on all the railroad stuff I learned and the satisfaction of doing it by myself.

Very interesting post. What exactly is contained in the vehicle visibility report provided we can get the salesperson to provide it? Is this report something that gets updated as the vehicle is in transit or is it more of a schedule of the vehicle transport. Can you provide a link to the way you tracked the rail car in the event we get the info we need to track our vehicles? Thanks in advance.

Hello all.
Soon to be an owner of a 2016 Sport (my very first Ford and domestic vehicle).
Paperwork signed on Sep 21/15 and from reading the posts in here, it would have been submitted/sent to Ford on the Wed.

I'm glad I found this forum, as it's next to impossible to find anything with similar content or up to date information than here.

Very interesting post. What exactly is contained in the vehicle visibility report provided we can get the salesperson to provide it? Is this report something that gets updated as the vehicle is in transit or is it more of a schedule of the vehicle transport. Can you provide a link to the way you tracked the rail car in the event we get the info we need to track our vehicles? Thanks in advance.

The Ford "Vehicle Visibility" report is updated in real time to show progress as the vehicle is in transit. The report presents the following info:

- Order No.
- Body Code
- VIN
- Vehicle Line (e.g., Explorer)
- Primary Status (e.g., In Transit)
- Secondary Status (e.g., Arrived at Intermediate Point)
- Current Vehicle Location (e.g., Dubuque, IA)
- Status Time/Date
- ETA at Dealership

I can't think of any reason why your salesperson would refuse your request to generate a "Vehicle Visibility" report. My guy ran the report for me, then e-mailed a PDF-format document to me. All the info fits nicely on one page.

If you have the number of the railcar on which your Explorer is traveling, and want to track location yourself, you need to know which railroad company is hauling the train. Try using Google or Bing and search for "how to track railcar location" to get started.

Thanks for info. I don't think issue is with the salesperson not wanting to do it but rather they don't know what they have access to and that they can even generate that report. Obviously this isn't across the board with everyone but I know many rely on Tricia for their updates because the salesperson either doesn't possess that knowledge or just doesn't communicate much between the order and delivery period.

Very thorough and educational

While Ford Customer Service (a/k/a Tricia) is an excellent resource for vehicle status info here, you can't get much beyond your VIN, estimated build date, and estimated time of arrival at your dealer. It's not that Tricia doesn't want to give out additional info like railcar number; I believe she doesn't have access to it.

To gather the info I posted about my Explorer Platinum, I spent hours scouring the Internet to learn about things like intermodal freight, conditions of carriage, and Autorack railcars. I visited websites run by railroad enthusiasts and other websites run by people who enjoy taking photographs of freight trains. I never realized how much railroad activity happened every day and night all across this country!

After determining the origin and destination for my Explorer, I was able to identify the three railroad companies involved with the transport of the vehicle from Chicago to Ayer, Massachusetts. I made several phone calls and received the railcar number from a helpful railroad employee. The employee also volunteered the info about when and where my Explorer was loaded onto the Autorack railcar. No doubt, I was lucky to get this info.

Once I had the name of the railroad company and the railcar number, I found out how to track the railcar's location. I think I discovered this info at another automotive forum, but I can't recall exactly where it was published.

BTW, you should be able to get a railcar number and its location from your Ford dealer. Ask your salesman to generate a "Vehicle Visibility" report for you. I could have done the same, but then I would have missed out on all the railroad stuff I learned and the satisfaction of doing it by myself.

That's impressive. I have a bit of time as my Explored isn't scheduled to be built until the week of Oct. 19. i will start with my dealer requesting to generate a vehicle visibility report. Thanks for all the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for info. I don't think issue is with the salesperson not wanting to do it but rather they don't know what they have access to and that they can even generate that report. Obviously this isn't across the board with everyone but I know many rely on Tricia for their updates because the salesperson either doesn't possess that knowledge or just doesn't communicate much between the order and delivery period.

If your dealer doesn't know how to do this, they are in the wrong business. My salesman runs these reports once week and updates with the progress. This stuff is routine.

Back