The greatest Idea for a skid plate ever | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The greatest Idea for a skid plate ever

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
I laughed when I saw this....and then i started thinking.....That would work! :eek:

12287Goodidea.jpg

Yes that is a Poly cutting board. It would not dent, never rust, deflect, not conduct heat, easy to cut and drill and cheap to make. If only it came in a different color :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked around for pricing... and found a place with 20"x15"x1/2" for $6.63 Each.

Or another place which you can order custom color and size for $12.24 Sq. Ft. Up to 60"x120"x1/2" They also Carry 1" thick.

Don't laugh, but I have made a few things out of this material. One was when I fabed a new bracket for my air ride suspension sensor. Hey, I don't have the tools or know how to fab out of metal so I had to make due with what I had! It has worked for about a year now with no problems, and it survived the cold winter we had last year.

I have heard that with the correct thickness they work great because they are so damn slick and you slide over everything no sweat.

There is a material called "UHMW" that we use at work all the time. It is cheap and comes in various thicknesses. We use it a lot for areas where object have to slide over surfaces without marring the object. This stuff works great. It can be cut with just about any saw (table saw works great) and is easyily drilled.

You can get that type material for free if you find poly barrels and cut them apart. Chemical barrels are typically made of some of the best stuff on earth, and you can get several sheets out of one. They run to over 1/4 inch thick and in many colors.

There are some rock crawler dudes that are using the poly to cover the undersides of their buggies - cheap - rebounds from a hit - and easy to work with. It can gouge or stick on a rock, but likely no worse than aluminum or steel.

hhmm... anyone knows if home depot has some? interesting.

swak6287 said:
hhmm... anyone knows if home depot has some? interesting.

yea this has def got me thinking....i wanted a skid plate and this looks like a great option.

Interesting idea.

I would like to see a pic of a rock on a jack lifting the front of that truck right in the center of the poly. That would, at least, start to convince me of its strength (ultimately like to see twice my truck weight on it).

Stic-o said:
I looked around for pricing... and found a place with 20"x15"x1/2" for $6.63 Each.

Or another place which you can order custom color and size for $12.24 Sq. Ft. Up to 60"x120"x1/2" They also Carry 1" thick.

wherer did you find this info at? website?

yea seriously, where's this website at?

and different colors? sounds like a rattle can job to me. or for $3.15 you get a big can un undercoating...

this stuff would fit my needs perfectly.. basically protect sticks from protruding my radiator (i dont rock crawl often). And ive been thinking of designing a skid plate that would protect and also channel air to the bottom of the engine...

ill be making some measurements tomorrow :D

another reason i like this stuff- its light as hell too... i was gonna make one out of 1/4" steel but #1 its a pain to shape #2 its a pain to cut #3 id ruin a few drill bits #4 its heavy.

For trail rigs, this stuff may not be the way to go... but for a DD like mine that offroads 80% of the time in the Pines... its gold :thumbsup:

dman726749 said:
awesome...thanks for the info....i am def going to check this out...seems like a great and inexpensive way of protection

Welcome ;) Should I post the picture that the skid plate is on? :D

You will not belive it! How about a before picture :p

GX-018.jpg

OK here she is :eek:

12287Lexus-med.jpg

12287Lexas_Rear.jpg

thats awesome and a great idea....the lexus doesn't surprise me, i was actually waiting for something like that- those things are awesome off-road stock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok, help me find a 30x30 sheet of this stuff

otherwise ill be making a "skeleton" out of those metal bars from home depot and buying two sheets/cutting them symetrical to each other/bolting on..but thats a lot more work than getting 30x30 and cutting it to the shape i want :D

Back