The greatest Idea for a skid plate ever | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The greatest Idea for a skid plate ever

holy crap:
color size $/sqft total
Black .5" thick Custom Cut - 30"w / 30"h 1 $12.24/sqft $76.50
Checkout Price $76.50

same size in white = $56

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Instead of the cutting boards or the UHMW go with a material called Delrin. Its harder and slicker than the UHMW (we use both here at work) probably about like the cutting board. And you can order it from McMaster Carr in pretty much whatever size you want. Actually you can probably order the material they make the cutting boards out of from them.

The only issue with the Delrin is whether it will flex that much for you, but hey, another guy working here is planning on using it to make a full skid pan for his rallycross car.

Just my 2 cents.

i was actually not even planning on having it flex like that. was going to hook it up from the bottom of my brush guard and go straight back to my cross member like the tranny line protector does. Only problem i see is finding a way to bolt it to the cross member..
and since the material is somewhat flexible, i was thinking about using a round joint to connect it to the brush guard rather than bolting it... that way incase of an accident with a tree or something it would have more room to flex and not shear..
12637snow_007.jpg

the custom colors are pretty expensive, but if you just go with a pre made cutting board from one of the other sites its still really inexpensive, i am also going to see what the stores at home have this weekend

Remember - chemical storage barrels = FREE...

They are between 1/4" and 3/8". I've cut up tons of them... You get a nice big sheet and several smaller pieces.

Cut them with a sawsall - circle saw - jig saw, whatever.

Just make sure that you wear gloves when handling the barrels initially - try to understand what was in them, and use some basic chemistry to neutralize. Start by rinsing them out carefully with H2O, then if acid, neutralize with caustic if caustic, neutralize with acid - weak solution, rinse around, rinse with clear water.

glfredrick said:
Remember - chemical storage barrels = FREE...

and use some basic chemistry to neutralize.

That is why I ALWAYS lick the barrels that I use, clean. That is why I ALWAYS lick the barrels that I use clean. That is why I ALWAYS lick the barrels that I use clean. That is why I ALWAYS lick the barrels that I use clean. That is why I ALWAThaThat is why I ALWAYSThat is why I ALWAYS lick the barrels that I use clean. lick the barrels That is why I ALWAYS lick the barrels that I use clean.that I use clean.t is why I ALWAYS lick That is why I ALWAYS lick the barrels thaThat is why I ALWAYS lick the barrels that I use clean.t I use clean.the barrels that I use clean.YS lick the barrels that I use clean.UUUUUUUUUuUUuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuruurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........................

Anyone made one out of the UHMW or the plastic barrel????

ehhh never got around to it......i couldent find one local the size i needed, so i just put it off till anoter time....plus i am flat broke

i really like this idea, and i am desperate need of some more protextion for my X. so i was wondering where would i bolt this "cutting board" to?
Davis

Thats awesome! I want to see how well it holds up :)
Whats next? teflon coated skid plates? for slickrock? hahaha

Great thread, this will be perfect for my ATV!!!

I know this size has been posted before, but I just saw at my local Wal-Mart a 15x20 cutting board it $9.00. Maybe that would be less expensive than the $7.00 one on the internet plus shipping. Plus a little more conveinent (sp?).
Not sure if anyone has measured underneath their truck, so I dont know if this will fit. I'll get on it soon. I really need some radiator protection for now.

I got a 30"x30" for mine, but I am sure you could get creative and make a bracket to hold the two pieces of cutting board together and cut to shape. I'll have to check it out at my local Wal-mart.

You got 30x30? Let's see pics installed. Everyone keeps talking up the idea, but no action yet.....are you our guinea pig?

another source for it:

www.ainplastics.com

They have facilities all over the place.

I think Rubbermaid should immediately begin the production of rock crawlers. I mean seriously, tumble it down a rock wall, flip it back over, and [thunk] pop the dents back out like the garbage can you backed into in the garage. Or, never again worry about someone backing into you in a parking lot!

That's my million dollar idea.

Seriously, though, I've got my doubts about the ability of a 1/2" cutting board Delrin or otherwise and its ability to hold a 3000 lb vehicle off a rock. Maybe once or twice, but I don't see it lasting.

-Joe

great idea seen it on four wheelers and works extremely well never really put it with anything any bigger

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got a couple of SHEETS of the stuff from a project at work... :D

It will be covering a lot of the underneath of my Ranger build.

The best thing is that NOTHING sticks to it -- bye-bye mud.

Back