The infamous IAC woo, only on a first gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The infamous IAC woo, only on a first gen

Willard

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ranger Edge
Alright, so I know there are lots of threads on this, but nothing for the first gen. I think I have the infamous IAC noise. It only does it every now and then, usually before it's warmed up completely. It goes away when I hit the gas. It sounds like it's coming from the IAC, I've just never heard of it happening on a first gen.

So, since there is no black cap on the first gen IAC, does this just simply mean it's going bad? It's been cleaned (a lot) recently. I didn't know if a further cleaning or something else would solve the problem, at least for a little while.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will it do it at idle or can you pull the throttle open just a little to make it go woooooo?....if so, pull the connector from the IAC while its making the noise to verify it is the IAC.

Don't know whether the 1st gen suffers from the wooo or not, but other Fords can - I once heard a Taurus make the exact same sound as my Explorer.

Its that wooo wooo, know what I'm sayin?

you could jesse just go buy a low mileage one out of a yard to determin if thats it before buying a new one

Next time it does it, pull the electrical connector off the IAC while it is making the noise (like I did in the video). That will tell you right away if it is the IAC or not.

Well, I fixed it.

After further investigation, the rubber hose going from the PCV to the intake had collapsed just enough to make the "wooo" noise. Never expected that, but when I started poking around that's what I found.

New piece of hose and all is well :thumbsup:

Back