The number 10 fuse keeps blowing when I hit a bump. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The number 10 fuse keeps blowing when I hit a bump.

alasko

Reaction score
City, State
madison, oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
Hello. I have been having a problem and hope that someone may be able to help me. I have a 2001 explorer and I keep blowing fuse #10. It controls my blinkers, overhead display, 4X4, and rear defroster. I live in the snow belt and need those functions. It blows usually if I go over a bump. Sometimes it goes if I use my blinkers. I have no bad bulbs. My flashers work. when I replace the fuse everything works fine...until I hit a bump. please help. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the wires going into the fuse block. My buddy had a wire loose back there, and it was doing a similar thing...

I have trailer wiring but the plug and all the wires are in the rear in the inside of my vehicle so they arent exposed to weather...i dont really use it much

Check the wiring anyway, it only takes some corrosion to connect circuits between 2 pins and blow the fuse... Is you wiring the factory plug/harness, or the abomination add-on mess from Hoppy connected to each taillight?

Ummm...I took it somewhere to get put on....I will check the wiring but I think someone already looked at that... I think we narrowed it down to the front end of the vehicle...I read on another forum something about a green wire w a yellow stripe? Idk but I am goin nuts...I went a year without any problems and now I am lucky if I get a mile w/out the fuse blowin

I think if you search herein you will find a couple of "fuse 10" threads that may give you some ideas of where to look but ultimately you are likely going to have to track back to the problem area by looking at the various wiring areas related to that fuse... no fun.

I have a feeling you are right...I dont have great mechanic skills...not too bad for a girl..tho...esspecially when it comes to electric stuff. But I dont have a fortune to spend having someone look at it. lose lose situation.

I had that same dumb kit on my Ex when I bought it.

Either way, if you pull off your drivers' side taillight, you should have a plug under there. See the gray one with the blue insert where the wires go into it? (MS Paint won't load so I can't circle it)

IMG_2496.jpg

If you get this harness:

Hoppy 40915 (Or junkyard for the Ford one)

Hopkins-40915-rw-52982-63370.jpg

...it plugs into that existing plug already installed in the truck, then you have trailer lights. That other mess creates problems, including the one you're having on some rigs when the wires wear through since most install places pass the wiring through the frame.

I took it off mine, stupid electrical spawn...

Do your trailer lights work currently?

yeah..i checked and they actually spliced into my lights wires....i just disconnected everything...

Annoyed

Hello...so i put a post up about my #10 fuse constantly blowing...I looked at a diagram and it seems like most of the stuff is located in circuit 286....how do I go about checking for a short and where is it located? The fuse has these assigned to it: GEM module, flasher, overhead console, shift lock actuator, Speed control amplifier assly, blend door actuator, A/C-heater assly, and load leveling module....also i have no 4WD which is in the same circuit as my turn signals...im getting hopeless...

Why are you starting a new thread for the same problem?

I take it that didn't resolve any issues?

Joe- I wish I couldda snapped some pics of my old EB. They rigged a harness that hung under the truck, not covered or anything, it came up by the rear washer resivoir, and they used PINS to connect the wiring! No tape, no nothing.

My main problem is that i dont know where the circuit is located to look for a short...Ive come to the conclusion from my previous post that i have a short to find...now i need to know where that circuit is

problem not solved....i need 2 find the circuit that my signals and 4wd are hooked up to...they are on the same circuit #286

If you stay on the same thread you have a better chance of your problem getting solved.

It is helpful, since it would let people know what's been done and what's not... :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might be the multifunction switch. There a common failure item.

Back