• Register Today It's free!

The power behind the ohv 4.0

I Bleed Blue

Reaction score
City, State
NorCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 5.0 2wd LSD
So after owning my 91 for a couple months now, i am noticing more how much wide open driving i have to do on the freeway. I know the 4.0 isnt a powerhouse motor but it seems like i shouldnt have to drive it wide open. Along with that, it almost seems like it would have trouble getting out of its own way. Is this just how these motors are or should i look into something that might be wrong?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you say wide open are you meaning full open throttle? Actually the 4.0 is quite the work horse. I have no problem driving 65 to 70 on the freeway at about 2000 rpm +/-. It tows farily well also. Granted I would hope no one is attempting to tow a 30' RV behind it.

What condition is your Ex in? Mileage? Is it tuned up?

If you mean seriously wide open then yes there's a problem. If your last car was a BMW 3 series and you're exaggerating then it's probably fine

my last vehicle was a 2000 5.0 explorer so thats why this one seems so slow. and yes im on the floor and just above the floor cruising 70 at about 2500rpms. its in pretty good condition, all stock 190xxx miles

Rpm's seem about right,,do a search on the throttle cable mod,,could be way stretched out.Some owners have had the actual accelerator bracket crack as well,,long shot but worth a look.

Something aint right. Even my 2.3 4 cyl ranger isn't at the floor at 70mph going uphill.

just checked my tb and pedal and when the pedal is wide open so is the tb so that eliminates that veriable. where should i go from there?

Fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs

Where are you throttling it driving around town? Is there a significant difference going from say 40mph to 70?

And yes rpm does sound about right. While it's in park if you floor it where does your tach ping out at?

around town im anywhere from little throttle input to maybe 2/3 throttle (i have to climb hills is the only reason for 2/3). from 40-70 if i leave it in 4th and stand up on it takes a couple seconds to get itself together and it will start pulling after that. i just did the "throttle cable mod" and it seemed to have helped, helped more in town it seems but there was a little difference on the highway.

With your pedal all the way to the floor, what position is your intake butterfly in? Any way to snap a picture?

When the pedal is on the floor the butterfly is all the way open. Plus the little "mod" helped more than i thought I'm less deep in the throttle at highway speeds.

I have a fuel filter i bought when it was new that i never got a round to putting in so I'm gonna do that and check the plugs see how they look

Check to see if all your spark plug wires, (especially the 1 on the firewall is snugged down tight. Sounds like you may only be driving a 5 cylinder 4.0

You need to downshift..............Keeping it in 4th or 5th & trying to drive up hills at 70 is not going to work well for you.
You have a 91 which actually has a lessor power rating then the 93+

You need to downshift..............Keeping it in 4th or 5th & trying to drive up hills at 70 is not going to work well for you.
You have a 91 which actually has a lessor power rating then the 93+

He doesn't need to downshift. My 97 never downshifts at 70 even with a trailer. And mines an auto, which has a taller 5th gear than the stick shift. Oh and I'm running 31's
3rd gear is ridiculous for highway speeds. These aren't little import cars
Use 4th if need be but that should be rare

What you have & he has are not the same. OP look up what gears you have

What you have & he has are not the same. OP look up what gears you have

Same engine for the most part. I have 3:73 gears, auto trans (.75 ratio in 5th) and 31" tires. He has stock tires so unless he has 3:08 then he shouldn't be downshifting.

Like I said, even my ranger (same front end as y'all's explorers) with the 2.3 4 cyl, 3:45 gears, p195/75r14 tires and over 300,000 miles can pull 5th gear just fine.

Hey guys sorry about the late response but I replaced the plugs and wires and that helped out a lot as well as cleaning up the throttle body and maf. And if it still matters i think i have 4.10's

Back