The sulphur smell cannot be fixed, see invoice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The sulphur smell cannot be fixed, see invoice

gpzrider

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited 4x4
After the third visit to the dealer in 10 months and 3 full weeks at the dealer at the last visit, this is the final determination of what is poisoning myself and my family. Yes, the air conditioning systems is recirculating exhaust into the passenger cabin. See invoice attached.

Fordinvoice.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whoa! Wait a minute! Recirculating exhaust into the cabin is definitely not safe! You can die off of breathing exhaust. Carbon monoxide can give you major brain damage... I have the burning exhaust smell too when the A/C is on during RPMs higher than 3,000. This is very concerning... Ford needs to do a recall.

Where does it say that it is Exhaust? Not denying, just wondering how the verbage worked...

Because the service tech told me ford sent him a bulletin that described how the rear air conditioning system has a recirculation vent that is pulling in exhaust from the rear. Anyone have access to ssm 22386 referenced in the invoice so we can read it for ourselves?

Because the service tech told me ford sent him a bulletin that described how the rear air conditioning system has a recirculation vent that is pulling in exhaust from the rear. Anyone have access to ssm 22386 referenced in the invoice so we can read it for ourselves?

So does the smell only occur when the rear HVAC is being used?

So does the smell only occur when the rear HVAC is being used?

no, I've had the smell with just the front a/c on...although now that I'm accelerating more and more the car (instead of just cruising it) the smell has definetly decreased...

New tsb for this problem.

Printable View (51 KB)
TSB
12-8-8 3.5L TI-VCT - FOUL ODOR FROM COOLING SYSTEM - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 7/9/2012

Publication Date: August 14, 2012

FORD: 2012-2013 Explorer

ISSUE:
Some 2012-2013 Explorer vehicles equipped with a 3.5L TI-VCT engine and built on or before 7/9/2012 may exhibit a foul, rotten-egg type odor coming from the cooling system or components, typically after coming to a stop with the climate control recirculation door in the fresh air mode.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Flush the cooling system. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-03.
Replace the upper and lower radiator hoses.
Remove degas bottle cap and inspect the top sealing surface on the bottle for defects. Use your fingertip to feel for nicks/gouges that are hard to see. If you feel a nick, replace the degas bottle. Refer to WSM, Section 303-03.
Replace the hoses at the coolant degas bottle.
Replace the heater hoses.
Refill the system with new Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant to the appropriate level, refer to WSM, Section 303-03.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
BB5Z-8260-E Radiator Hose - Upper
BB5Z-8286-G Radiator Hose - Lower without Oil Cooler
BB5Z-8286-H Radiator Hose - Lower with Oil Cooler
DB5Z-8C289-C Degas Bottle-To-Coolant Inlet Pipe Hose
BB5Z-8276-C Thermostat Housing-To-Degas Bottle Hose
BB5Z-18472-E Heater Hoses
VC-1 Motorcraft® Premium Cooling System Flush
VC-3-B Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant Concentrated
F1VY-8255-A O-ring
AG1Z-8A080-S Degas Bottle

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120808A 2012-2013 Explorer: Flush The Cooling System And Replace Hoses Following The Service Procedure Includes Time To Remove And Install The Radiator (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 3.7 Hrs.
120808B 2012-2013 Explorer: Flush The Cooling System And Replace Degas Bottle And Hoses Following The Service Procedure Includes Time To Remove And Install The Radiator (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 3.9 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
8260 d4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2012 Ford Motor Company

Excellent news

Although I'd add that if this IS what the issue is, the original thought of the thread should be changed as the Explorer isn't poisoning anyone's family with exhaust fumes.

I'm hoping that someone can pull up the other info that GPZ posted though, that would be a huge deal if it was exhaust...

Well, this TSB seems to fix the unrelated issue of poisoning someone's family with gases emanating from the cooling system. The original post deals with exhaust gases being sucked into the cabin by the recirculation system. If you look at the FORD invoice it specifically states to NOT CLOSE the recirculation door, meaning to leave it off, in fresh air mode. If I follow that suggestion then I will poison my family with cooling system gases that get sucked into the cabin when coming to a stop. But if I leave the recirculation door closed, in the on position, I will only poison myself and family with exhaust gases being pulled into the cabin after hard accelerations. Since I accelerate harshly less times than I come to a stop, I'll choose the latter.

If the cooling system is a closed loop system, how does the smell enter the interior of the vehicle? Something would have to be leaking wouldnt it?

Seems that there are two different issues regarding odors.

Well, this TSB seems to fix the unrelated issue of poisoning someone's family with gases emanating from the cooling system. The original post deals with exhaust gases being sucked into the cabin by the recirculation system. If you look at the FORD invoice it specifically states to NOT CLOSE the recirculation door, meaning to leave it off, in fresh air mode. If I follow that suggestion then I will poison my family with cooling system gases that get sucked into the cabin when coming to a stop. But if I leave the recirculation door closed, in the on position, I will only poison myself and family with exhaust gases being pulled into the cabin after hard accelerations. Since I accelerate harshly less times than I come to a stop, I'll choose the latter.

Jeeze! Melodramatic much? Just sell the @#$% thing and get on with your life. :thumbdwn:

Jeeze! Melodramatic much? Just sell the @#$% thing and get on with your life. :thumbdwn:

If I sell it then I won't have any reason to visit this forum and talk to all the nice happy customers here.

exactly......the whining and crying in this forum can really be entertaining at times......thanks for all the laughs!!!

You're welcome, happy motoring!

Get the service bulletin from the Service Manager.

Dump it- I'm sure you wouldn't put your family at risk in either scenario. No amount of money is worth that. I'd trade it in tomorrow if it were my family, if I was sure that they were being poisoned.

Get the service bulletin from the Service Manager.

Dump it- I'm sure you wouldn't put your family at risk in either scenario. No amount of money is worth that. I'd trade it in tomorrow if it were my family, if I was sure that they were being poisoned.

You're absolutely right, thanks for the suggestion.

You're absolutely right, thanks for the suggestion.

I've got a suggestion (I'm not trying to be a smart-ass).... open a window.

Edit: I just noticed you're in LA.... You may not want to breathe whats outside the truck either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds simple enough, I'll check the manual to figure out how to do that.

Back