The Turbo 4.0L Explorer project... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Turbo 4.0L Explorer project...

Started a similar topic over in the the modified section, but figured it would be more helpfull in this section.. Mods, feel free to axe the other thread..

Here is the truck:
explorer_clean.jpg

Fuel management, (megasquirt)
explorer_ms.jpg

Turbo install
turbo_done_1.jpg

Currently at 4psi and working good... Turbo is a T4 with a .50 compressor and 1.18 exhaust.. I threw this setup together over the weekend with the spare parts I had laying around..

Cheers,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

James, I ran across a device someone makes to convert an electrical signal into a speedometer cable, somewhere on the net.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Jakee - Ha ha, you're not too far off.. ;)

CDW6212R - Tranny has about 15,000km on a fresh build with shift kit..

jah81592 - If I make any tranny sway, it would be for a 5 spd or a C4..

CDW6212R - You refering to JTR? (Jags that run) They have some handy speedo stuff..

So I made the block off plate today.. Results..

Before - Partial and half throttle netted 0 - 1psi of boost.. Full throttle got me to 6psi by about 4000 rpm..

After - I can make 6lbs of boost at 1/4 throttle in an instant now..
Full boost (now 10lbs... whoops) is instant and feels pretty good.. Pulls to 5000rpm no problem, as I was concerned about top end being compromised by the halved turbine inlet..

It may not be ideal, but it sure as hell works, and works well.. I have a WB and will take some data logs to compare to previous ones to see the difference in spool time.. I did block the inlet closest to the compressor housing too..

Now the fun really begins... :)

Cheers,

So where do we buy the knowledge here and have it implanted into our own.

I'm sitting on a fresh tranny rebuild with shift kit and full synthetic, its time for a turbo upgrade for the gold old 4.0sohc. I need to start doing some research, any tips on where to begin the long road of knowledge?

Awesome thread by the way!!

Sounds great, as Chris mentioned, keep the bands adjusted well. TransGo has the best adjustment instructions, they are far better than the Ford way. Regards,

I'm sitting on a fresh tranny rebuild with shift kit and full synthetic, its time for a turbo upgrade for the gold old 4.0sohc. I need to start doing some research, any tips on where to begin the long road of knowledge?

Well, I guess it depends on what you want. The sts kit, Jah and Rocket could help you with. If you just want to learn things, then go to turboforums.com cuss there's a lot of good info. They have a section in there called "Junkyard" builds that could help you.

I'm going to pick up a STS kit from Rocket and get the thing tuned by Hensonperformance. Should be ready for the kit SOON!!

Here is a datalog of before the block off plate.. you can see full boost at 4900..

open_t4_run.jpg

This is with the plate..

blocked_t4_run.jpg

8psi by 3400 now..

Cheers,

frickea86 - Jakee has good advice... The turbo forums is a great resource if you're looking to DIY.. Otherwise, buy a kit and get it tuned and enjoy!

I have a 98 2wd 5speed Explorer Sport and I have done a intercooled turbo set on it ans I am useing a FMU + 24lb hr injectors with a 80mm MAF and its a drawthru then it gose in to the turbo inlet and a 307 intank fuel pump. The turbo that Iam useing is a stock Grand National turbo and Iam running about 14-15lbs of boost I also have turbo SX dule stage boost controler. As far as the the Exh goes I had kept the stock exh all the way back to last cat and came out of the and used a 2 1/2 U bend to bring it back up to the front of the truck. I had ran it the driver side of the trans the when it got to the front of the oil pan and the back of the rack and crossed over to up and in to the Turbo whitch is just behine the head light where the overflow/washer bottle what i did here is cut the two in half in stalled the overflow behind the grill and then attached it there. Then reinstall the washer bottle back in the stock location. As far as the oilfeed line gose I put a T-fitting inline where the oil sending unit is used a small AN fitting and used steel braided line about 4' long. The return line I used a -10 line and used a push lock-line and ran it back to the passanger side V-cover just like the vortech system dose. The intercooler is mounted behined the front bumper ( Iam useing the 02 ranger ( Lightning ) bumper cover I had install it just below the rad suport all the intercooler/exh pipeing is all mandrual bent tubing with all the high temp silacone hoses in Blue or black w/ t-bolt clamps . I will be takeing Pics of the system today or tomarrow and will be posting them on here and all the other Explorer/Ranger sites that I belong to. I will
be didgatizing all the pipeing and going to offer a do-it your self kit and I will be offering a kit that I will do the insalation as wel for the pepole that do not have the skill/Time or the tools ect to do the job. You can ship or drop your other ford vehicel off to me and I will do every thing. I had the truck dynoed befor the installed the turbo with the small mods (24lb hr injectors,80mm MAF,electric fan,K&N air filter) and it pulled 178 rwhp. I have not been able to get back on the dyno yet. Right now I am in the Maryland area. till about Dec then I will be moveing down south. If anyone has any ? or if you want a kit (kits start @ 1000.00 diy non-intercooled and up for complet kit including in-tank fuel pump,injectors,FMU you can post on here or Email me at l8psiExplorer@aol.com Tank you for reading my post sorry for it being so long.

I have a 98 2wd 5speed Explorer Sport and I have done a intercooled turbo set on it ans I am useing a FMU + 24lb hr injectors with a 80mm MAF and its a drawthru then it gose in to the turbo inlet and a 307 intank fuel pump. The turbo that Iam useing is a stock Grand National turbo and Iam running about 14-15lbs of boost I also have turbo SX dule stage boost controler. As far as the the Exh goes I had kept the stock exh all the way back to last cat and came out of the and used a 2 1/2 U bend to bring it back up to the front of the truck. I had ran it the driver side of the trans the when it got to the front of the oil pan and the back of the rack and crossed over to up and in to the Turbo whitch is just behine the head light where the overflow/washer bottle what i did here is cut the two in half in stalled the overflow behind the grill and then attached it there. Then reinstall the washer bottle back in the stock location. As far as the oilfeed line gose I put a T-fitting inline where the oil sending unit is used a small AN fitting and used steel braided line about 4' long. The return line I used a -10 line and used a push lock-line and ran it back to the passanger side V-cover just like the vortech system dose. The intercooler is mounted behined the front bumper ( Iam useing the 02 ranger ( Lightning ) bumper cover I had install it just below the rad suport all the intercooler/exh pipeing is all mandrual bent tubing with all the high temp silacone hoses in Blue or black w/ t-bolt clamps . I will be takeing Pics of the system today or tomarrow and will be posting them on here and all the other Explorer/Ranger sites that I belong to. I will
be didgatizing all the pipeing and going to offer a do-it your self kit and I will be offering a kit that I will do the insalation as wel for the pepole that do not have the skill/Time or the tools ect to do the job. You can ship or drop your other ford vehicel off to me and I will do every thing. I had the truck dynoed befor the installed the turbo with the small mods (24lb hr injectors,80mm MAF,electric fan,K&N air filter) and it pulled 178 rwhp. I have not been able to get back on the dyno yet. Right now I am in the Maryland area. till about Dec then I will be moveing down south. If anyone has any ? or if you want a kit (kits start @ 1000.00 diy non-intercooled and up for complet kit including in-tank fuel pump,injectors,FMU you can post on here or Email me at l8psiExplorer@aol.com Tank you for reading my post sorry for it being so long.

Wow 15 psi on the stock V6 bottom end??? Good luck with that. Make sure to take a video of the carnage because that is a time-bomb waiting to happen.

Also an FMU is not the way to go if you want to properly solve your fuel issues. Do it right with a boost referenced FPR and proper tuning.

While it is nice to see another person with FI on their Exploder out there it seems like a few corners may have been cut. Especially if you are offering a "kit" for only $1,000 including fuel components and whatnot. I will leave it at the old expression which is, "You get what you pay for"...

The 4.0 has an excellent stock short block, that is pushing it with 15psi, but no big deal compared with the boost used with cast or hypereutectic pistons.

The FMU would worry me, that and the transmission. For serious power I wouldn't use any of the pre 5R55S transmissions. Good luck though, keep on top of it.

The 4.0 has an excellent stock short block, that is pushing it with 15psi, but no big deal compared with the boost used with cast or hypereutectic pistons.

The FMU would worry me, that and the transmission. For serious power I wouldn't use any of the pre 5R55S transmissions. Good luck though, keep on top of it.

Oh yeah, the 4.0 SOHC is stout, but not THAT stout. :p:

Wow 15 psi on the stock V6 bottom end??? Good luck with that. Make sure to take a video of the carnage because that is a time-bomb waiting to happen.

Also an FMU is not the way to go if you want to properly solve your fuel issues. Do it right with a boost referenced FPR and proper tuning.

While it is nice to see another person with FI on their Exploder out there it seems like a few corners may have been cut. Especially if you are offering a "kit" for only $1,000 including fuel components and whatnot. I will leave it at the old expression which is, "You get what you pay for"...
As far as the block goes I had a 2.9L ranger I put 23lbs of boost into it the block stayed together for 3 years till I sold the truck. The max boost on the Explorer is 14-15lbs. But on a daily basis I only put 10lbs into it. The kit that I would offer for 1000.00 would be a basic kit (all hot parts, small turbo , NO INTER COOLER NO FUEL parts A HOT AIR SETUP the more upgrades you would want the price goes from there) The one with everything including the fuel side as well there is no way I could do it for that you need to read better! And as far as the FMU is you are acting like that is the only thing that I have on the truck I do have a boost referenced FPR I had just for got to say it in my post. The fuel pump that I said that I have in the tank its not the 307 I have the Racetroix GS340 pump. The way you are making it sound is that I am using all stock fuel parts except for the FMU witch could not be any farther from the truth ! The air fuel ratios are running at 11.7. NO ONE SAID ANYTHING THAT I HAD A FUEL PROBLEM where in the world did you get that from just for your info this is NOT the first time putting a turbo set-up on a tuck/car. I also have a mid 9 sec Grand National. I have been into and working on turbo cars/trucks for over 12 yrs. I have also been in the mustang scene as well. Right now I have 9.67@ 143 mph in the 1/4 not the 1/8 92 mustang coupe with a vortech SQ V-2 trim supercharger full interier with an AOD w/3800 stall. I also have the 87 white coupe mustang that won on pinks that put it on the bumper with a 331 stroker w/175 shot of nitrous on it also a 89 Black coupe with an all motor 421 CID Yates headed with a powerglide w/4800 stall that runs 9.30s so I would think I know what I am talking about! So in closing for now you can take your old saying "You get what you pay for"... and put where the sun don't shine !!!!.........

Hey - Welcome to the forum. Can you prove what you say?

As far as the block goes I had a 2.9L ranger I put 23lbs of boost into it the block stayed together for 3 years till I sold the truck. The max boost on the Explorer is 14-15lbs. But on a daily basis I only put 10lbs into it. The kit that I would offer for 1000.00 would be a basic kit (all hot parts, small turbo , NO INTER COOLER NO FUEL parts A HOT AIR SETUP the more upgrades you would want the price goes from there) The one with everything including the fuel side as well there is no way I could do it for that you need to read better! And as far as the FMU is you are acting like that is the only thing that I have on the truck I do have a boost referenced FPR I had just for got to say it in my post. The fuel pump that I said that I have in the tank its not the 307 I have the Racetroix GS340 pump. The way you are making it sound is that I am using all stock fuel parts except for the FMU witch could not be any farther from the truth ! The air fuel ratios are running at 11.7. NO ONE SAID ANYTHING THAT I HAD A FUEL PROBLEM where in the world did you get that from just for your info this is NOT the first time putting a turbo set-up on a tuck/car. I also have a mid 9 sec Grand National. I have been into and working on turbo cars/trucks for over 12 yrs. I have also been in the mustang scene as well. Right now I have 9.67@ 143 mph in the 1/4 not the 1/8 92 mustang coupe with a vortech SQ V-2 trim supercharger full interier with an AOD w/3800 stall. I also have the 87 white coupe mustang that won on pinks that put it on the bumper with a 331 stroker w/175 shot of nitrous on it also a 89 Black coupe with an all motor 421 CID Yates headed with a powerglide w/4800 stall that runs 9.30s so I would think I know what I am talking about! So in closing for now you can take your old saying "You get what you pay for"... and put where the sun don't shine !!!!.........

Boosting a 2.9 engine has nothing to do with boosting a 4.0 engine. That is total apples to oranges and I really hope that is not your reasoning for thinking the stock 4.0 can take that amount of boost. That is like me saying, "Well the 4.6 DOHC Cobra motor from the 03-04's can handle 700+ hp so I think a 4.6 SOHC in the GT's can too" which would be ludicrous reasoning to think that an engine can take a given amount of boost in stock form. 10 psi is about all I would go on the stocker bottom end of those engines. Maybe pushing it to 12 psi max while spraying meth on track days with a ROCK SOLID tune.

I suggest you state things more clearly so that you keep from confusing anyone with your wording.

If you have a boost referenced FPR then why the heck do you have an FMU? If you want more fuel then command your Lambda in the base fuel table and dial it in with the MAF transfer function in your tune. You may not have a fuel issue yet, but if you rely upon the FMU instead of proper tuning to get your truck dialed in then I expect you to have more than just fuel issues soon too.

Just because it is not your first time doing a turbo on a vehicle doesn't mean that you actually know what you are doing. Knowledge and experience are two different things....Knowledge+experience and actual understanding is a totally different ballgame in itself. It is nice that you own those cars but once again that does not really mean crap either. I know of hundreds of people with 8,9, 10 second cars that do not know a damn thing about anything; usually because their buddies did the hard stuff while they watched. State the issues and discuss them, do not come in here and pull your whole...."Well I had a car on Pinks so I must know what I am talking about" bs. I made a few observations of some things that I feel are likely not right with your project vehicle. Discuss it in a relevant manner instead of saying childish comments such as "and put where the sun don't shine" That will not get you far here.

dang, didn't know i was going to start wwIII.

Like stated above, I am not one to just drop my truck off an have it done, mainly because I would probably not like the work done, not personal, I just gotta have stuff done right and thought about more then twice. I like clean installs, power isn't my ultimate goal here. Knowledge and experience is what I am always looking for. Like I stated above, I was asking where these guys started so I could start learning a few things an understand what the heck their talking about. Thank you for the offer though.

I am not a person to just let someone else do all the work and take the glory, I work for it and hope to get some more knowledge and experience, I think thats the main point of any project anyone takes on weather they see it or not.

Good Luck

Yes, he hasn't started off here very well. It is much better to be patient at first and discover what everyone knows before throwing around the resume. We can learn from each other, as well as help too.

Just make note that this is a written medium, we cannot see facial expressions and tell that what has been said is going the wrong way. Here, like in all forums, you should make general statements or very specific detailed statements, to avoid confusion. When we know each other better we can kid around or joke with each other, knowing that we won't take it the wrong way. Newcomers and regular members need to be patient and learn how each other writes, etc.

Take a breath and start over, I put my foot in my mouth every once in a while. I hope that others will just allow me to correct myself, or learn from it. Regards,

Yes why what would you like to know? I am not the type of person that will say somthing that is not true in anyway.

Welcome again to the site, and browse around through the thousands of threads and posts. I don't want anyone to become offended by a lack of communication or a different writing style. There are so many members here that there will definitely be some good, and some bad. Take the time to learn which are which, without deciding in your first three posts.

I took interest in your thread because of the truck being a 93/94 Limited. I loved my green 93, but I needed more reliability. I know of another part time member who will keenly be wanting to know how that truck ends up. He has a nice 94 Limited like mine was, he'll discover this soon, or I'll send him here. Regards,

Attachments

• Projectthread106.JPG
    Projectthread106.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 819

dang, didn't know i was going to start wwIII.

Like stated above, I am not one to just drop my truck off an have it done, mainly because I would probably not like the work done, not personal, I just gotta have stuff done right and thought about more then twice. I like clean installs, power isn't my ultimate goal here. Knowledge and experience is what I am always looking for. Like I stated above, I was asking where these guys started so I could start learning a few things an understand what the heck their talking about. Thank you for the offer though.

I am not a person to just let someone else do all the work and take the glory, I work for it and hope to get some more knowledge and experience, I think thats the main point of any project anyone takes on weather they see it or not.

Good Luck

Adam,

That is a good way to think. I do agree that there is a certain vast amount of enjoyment of not only owning a fast vehicle, but also owning a fast vehicle built by your own hands. Much more enjoyable IMO. Very few people are able to do that so I tip my hat to you wanting to take care of business yourself. You should have fun with things. ;)

And don't worry about WW3 it had nothing to do directly with you. It had more to do with what Don referred to and then the poor attitude afterwards. Hopefully that is all behind us now and we can move onto better things.

Boosting a 2.9 engine has nothing to do with boosting a 4.0 engine. That is total apples to oranges and I really hope that is not your reasoning for thinking the stock 4.0 can take that amount of boost. That is like me saying, "Well the 4.6 DOHC Cobra motor from the 03-04's can handle 700+ hp so I think a 4.6 SOHC in the GT's can too" which would be ludicrous reasoning to think that an engine can take a given amount of boost in stock form. 10 psi is about all I would go on the stocker bottom end of those engines. Maybe pushing it to 12 psi max while spraying meth on track days with a ROCK SOLID tune.

I suggest you state things more clearly so that you keep from confusing anyone with your wording.

If you have a boost referenced FPR then why the heck do you have an FMU? If you want more fuel then command your Lambda in the base fuel table and dial it in with the MAF transfer function in your tune. You may not have a fuel issue yet, but if you rely upon the FMU instead of proper tuning to get your truck dialed in then I expect you to have more than just fuel issues soon too.

Just because it is not your first time doing a turbo on a vehicle doesn't mean that you actually know what you are doing. Knowledge and experience are two different things....Knowledge+experience and actual understanding is a totally different ballgame in itself. It is nice that you own those cars but once again that does not really mean crap either. I know of hundreds of people with 8,9, 10 second cars that do not know a damn thing about anything; usually because their buddies did the hard stuff while they watched. State the issues and discuss them, do not come in here and pull your whole...."Well I had a car on Pinks so I must know what I am talking about" bs. I made a few observations of some things that I feel are likely not right with your project vehicle. Discuss it in a relevant manner instead of saying childish comments such as "and put where the sun don't shine" That will not get you far here.

To start off with the reason I said about the 2.9 is due to the fact that the 4.0 is so much more durrable than the 2.9 liter, and Im was stating a fact of what I did with the 2.9. As far as the 10 lbs of boost goes. Everyone has their own opinion about something. Ok,, then maybe keep your comments to yourself until you actually do a forced induction 4.0 L motor you don't have nothing to stand on. But your guessing and think I know it all attitude. Unless you have some proof to back it up . Otherwise who cares. I mean all your vast knowledge you say you have. .Then why aren't you here making all these turbo kits and selling them since you are "God of the turbo section"?
Im not sitting here ragging on your truck running 20lbs of boost on a regular 4.6 L. I don't care what you have you can do what you want . I didnt mislead anybody in my post, you just took it the wrong way. I was very clear on my explanation. Your just to quick to judge and make adverse comments on something you say you have knowledge on. What experience and knowledge do you have to back up your claims?? I have the FMU on the engine as a back up, I do not have an after the market stand alone fuel injection system that I can just hook my laptop up toand change the peramiters I am not relying on the FMU for proper tuning of my truck. Like I stated in my last post aparently you are not reading it correctly.
or maybe you really don't understand it . My Air Fuel Ratio is 11.7. For your information! I have been working as a technition atleast 25 years and I have built and tuned all of my vehicles ,freinds and customers. Plenty of long term
research and knowledge. I am not the type of person that you are stating that I stand around and watch people work on my cars, so don't be so quick to think you are better then anyone else and make judgement calls when you have no Idea of who I am and where I came from. You have allot of nerve sitting here making those acusations. Maybe you do that. But I don't care.
This is such imature crap and I am too busy to waste time on little things like
this. Oh and the mention about the car on Pinks was a referance not to rub it into anybodys face. I would agree that there are some idiots on pinks, but thats my opinion. and really who cares if you go and have a blast and the experience is something not everyone has had.. But Im not bashing either. You said that in a quote of your comment "You get what you pay for" so how can you fortell that my kit is junk, when you havn't even seen my kit in person. You stress facts here but yet, you are judgeing people without
facts. You make no sense! don't be so quick to jump on my case, My kits
are not expensive because for one, Im not greedy, and two there is no over
head. So why not,, get volume verses high cost and you can do well for yourself with out breaking the bank for other people. I Have had no problems
with people saving money and getting Exactly what they wanted. These people are no Idiots . You are insulting there Intelegence. Also I stated in my old post if anybody has any questions at all (questions not bashes ) let me know! This is the end of my conversation between you and I.

Back