The Work In Progress | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Work In Progress

Alright, for sometime now I've wanted to create one of these, but I was too lazy and figured no one cared about what I was doing.

But today I decided that if for nothing else this can at least be a way for me to see the progress I have made, even if I look at, or drive my car almost everyday.

If you come here expecting to see updated pics all the time it won't happen but I will reply to any questions and comments as soon as I see them.

To start the show, here it is,
The earliest photo I have of it is this one:

earliest%20explorer_zpsewdocurz.jpg

But here is the current state:

(need new photo)

Exterior:
(to be added once I get outside tomorrow and there is light [just realized still never took these photos])
Interior:
(same thing can be said here)

Secondary Car:

imagejpeg_0_zps1z2jysqv.jpg

If the images are too big let me know, as I cant tell because I use a large TV as my computer screen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am replying to myself as to not have new and an intro statement in the same "text box,"

I am currently working on a hood scoop for the explorer,

CAM00049_zpsfd2f2960.jpg

is it cosmetic or functional ?

Kinda both, I did cut a large hole under neath it but, its purpose currently will not be a ram type hood. It will instead for the time being just lower under hood temperatures.

Here is the latest top side, I now understand why everyone says to sand during the green stage, the bondo sands really well then quickly felt like I was polishing a stone with paper.

CAM00050_zpsbbd7cc62.jpg

And here is the underside. I could have increased the size of the hole wider, but I can still do that afterward if I feel the need from the underside.

CAM00051_zps194018b8.jpg

Latest update on the hood.
I keep using $.99 black paint for guide coat, works pretty well.

CAM000581_zps5d5a5d3c.jpg

I need to buy some primer so the base color will be even when I spray. I notice that the guide coat will get streaky. This could also be due to using an aerosol can. I may do prime and finish in aerosol for now until temps get a little higher and when I'm not a few days from class.

Sorry for the terrible photo quality. Next time I'll get the camera out and not just use my phone.

For the time being I'm gonna just run it in primer, but I will need to reinforce the back some more a while installing, the rear portion passenger side split hen the hood flexed a little.

DSCN0886_zpsf8e64b7d.jpg

DSCN0887_zpsb7b4bee2.jpg

nice x

Update:

The original hood has gone back on as I needed a car that looked more professional during job searching. The side steps have been reinstalled due to short girlfriend. And that's about it on the explorer side.

Somewhat recently bought this pretty thing and am trying to fully decide how stock I want it to be, I'm thinking fully stock appearance. Meaning only mods that would be very tasteful and could look as if the factory installed them. (This may change over time)

Here she/he is havent decided a name yet. (nothing good has come up).
CAM00014_zpsaeindohi.jpg

Back