p928s4

Reaction score
City, State
New Holland, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
2002, Explorer, XLT, 4x4. 4.0 v6, automatic
THEFT mode activated. What can I do?
Wrong key tried in the ignition now the THEFT light is flashing when vehicle is sitting or key is in off position. Turn key to run the THEFT light goes off after three seconds as it should but when turned to start the starter does not try. The fuel pump activates and everything seems normal but the motor does not attempt to turn over. Recently bought & only have one key which has plastic top like the encoded key should. Hadn't started explorer in a while and when I went to start it I accidently tried a windstar (recently scrapped) key. Hate to pay to tow it FORD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can try disconnecting the battery for a while to reset everything, but you will probably end up having to take it to the dealership.

Going by your statement that it hadn't been started for awhile I would put it on a charger first.
Then start checking as if the key didn't have anything to do with it.
I have put the wrong key in mine multiple times, (Expedition, Windstar, Explorer use similar keys), and have never had a problem starting it with the correct key afterwards.
I believe the PATS system only disables the injectors if the key doesn't match, not the starter.

Could be a battery, cable, solenoid, starter, or ground wire, I would start looking at these first.

Thank You both for the response. I replaced the battery with a new one Tuesday. I've researched here and tried most of the other threads somewhat related. I've left the battery cable off for at least 24 hrs. Held - cable to + post then reconnected. THEFT "flashes" when key is off which I don't remember noticing before. THEFT does go off after 3 seconds when turned to run. Will get to checking wires tomorrow. Will look tonight for wiring schematic.

The theft light should flash once every few seconds when not running. That is normal. When you turn the key to the start position, what does the theft light do? If it flashes fast, this indicates a unprogrammed key. It should light solid. If it goes solid, you have another problem. Is there a OE remote starter or security system installed? My OE remote start is setup to lockout if the doors are unlocked with the key, from the inside switch or door handle. I must unlock them with the FOB or keypad or it will not start.

so you happen to have a key to another vehicle that works and turns the igniton of your explorer?

only being able to turn over the vehicle with an unprogrammed key would lock up the security system i believe. never in my locksmith experience seen it locked up due to just inserting a different vehicles key that is the same keyway.

Thanks to all for the replies. BIG thanks to Maxstealth04for the STICKY " http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340075 " with the owner's manual. Went through it Thursday night. Found that the THEFT light SHOULD flash while key is off. DUH! Hate those trips down the rabbit hole. No wonder I couldn't figure out how to get the THEFT light not to come on. Friday tested wires to starter and found power as it should. Replaced starter today and it started.
Lesson learned & a little embarrassed.

Don't be embarrassed. Glad you were able to work it through. Another thing to keep in mind with the PATS keys is if you have multiple keys on your key ring the vehicle may see the wrong key. Even those Mobil speed pass things can interfere with the PATS. I have had that happen with my 05 Ex and my Rustaing.

Back