Anti theft locked my car up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anti theft locked my car up

Kyfilly58

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
A week ago my 2004 Explorer had a dead battery,we replaced with a used battery from another car and the car wouldn't start afterwards....anti theft light blinking rapidly in on position,called a lock smith and he re programmed the anti theft and cut a new key and programmed it.Now my battery died again while trying to start the car and my anti theft is locked up again.Any Ideas....Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the board.

If it was my vehicle, I'd look at the battery first and then the charging system. A bad alternator can ruin a battery and a bad battery can overtax the charging system. Also the cables running from the battery need to be looked at closely, especially the one running to the starter. These can corrode inside the jacket where you can't see it.

Is there an after-market alarm system on this?

What does it mean when you say the "anti-theft is locked up..."? Any light blinking? Doors won't open? Gauges jumping around when trying to start the car?

no aftermarket alarm on the car,PATS light blinking rapidly when the key is in the on position,when you turn the key there is nothing,gauges work,lights work,heater blower works...but no crank and no fuel is getting to system.Last week when we had it re-programed it started fine for a week.Drove it to work and when I went to leave it groaned and then no start.Thats when the PATS light started blinking again.

Sounds like it needs a new battery to get it started. Then check the charging system.

I have the same problem, i have a new battery and alternator installed and now when i turn the key the anti theft light blinks rapidly what should i do? I put a screw driver across solenoid and the engine turned over but wouldnt crank. I also took my battery from my truck and swapped out but it still wouldnt turn over.

Got it running today,called a lock smith again and he re-programned the PATS.....then re-programned the keys and hurray it started right up.....so far so good.....the battery being dead must have erased the memory of the PATS.....it wasn't reading the keys....$50.00 and it running again.....Thanks for the help everyone

Back