Thermostat replacement - Instructions please ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thermostat replacement - Instructions please ?

WiTcHDoKtoR

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XL
Hey guys, I know this is probably pretty basic maintenance stuff for you, but for me, could be quite the ordeal. I'm not a car guy by any means, but I do know computers !:D Ok, no one's buying it, but I still need the instructions on how to replace the thermostat in a 97 Explorer XL with the V6. Thanks !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. Drain Coolant
2. Remove air intake tube
3. Remove black plastic cover over throttle body (2 bolts)
4. Remove 3 10mm bolts on thermostat housing
5. Remove old thermostat
6. Install new thermostat with O-Ring, weep hole at 12 o'clock position to engine block
7. Reinstall 3 thermostat housing bolts
8. Reinstall air intake tube
9. Reinstall black plastic cover
10. Refill and bleed cooling system

this is real simple

Ok, first get the thermostat of corse. Let the truck cool down remove air deflector that bolts to frame under radiator. This will make it easier to drane the radiator. Next drain the radiator. now remove air intake pipe at throttle. This will make it easir to get to thermostat. Follow the top hose from radiator to motor should make a 45 or 90 right before block. There are three bolts. remove them pull away from block and you will see the thermostat. pull it out and replace. Now instal is same backwards. ***TIP*** DRILL A SMALL OR TWO HOLE IN THE TOP OF THE THERMOSTAT. THIS WILL ALLOW YOUR TRUCK TO NOT OVERHEAT SHOULD THE THERMOSTAT STICK.*** Good Luck Takes about 20 min.

Dead Link Removed under engine and engine overhaul. Another additional I took on my '92 OHV was to remove the belt tensioner. Made more room to get at the thermostat housing.

you don't need to completely drain your coolant if its ok though... just enough to get it below the level of the thermostat. i replaced mine about 4 weeks ago on my lunch break in the parking lot at work.

Back