Thermostat Replacement on 2nd Gen. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thermostat Replacement on 2nd Gen.

twooverpar

Reaction score
City, State
PDX, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I need to replace my thermostat according to the dealer. (I had it in for the cam shaft tensioners and chain guides recall). They called and said that my thermostat is leaking. Anyway- They wanted $78 to replace. I am going to try and do it myself even though I am not mechanical in any way. Any tips or heads ups as to how to do this or what to watch out for would be appreciated. Also, is buying the part from Napa ok? Which thermostat should I get?

Thanks ahead of time!

Get a 192/195 degree thermostat. Make sure to get the O-Ring gasket as well.

No tips really, it's kinda tough to get at so have patience. You will need to partially drain the cooling system, if you have not changed the coolant in a while now is a good time. You will need to remove the air intake tube and possibly the tension pully and belt. It's not necessary to remove the tension pully and belt but it would make things easier. It's doable without removing it though. The bottom bolt on the housing is a major PITA. Make sure you have the air bleed valve at the 12 o'clock position when you install the thermo.

After you get it back in and refill the cooling system you will need to burp it.

I replaced it in my 97

Just three bolts held it in. I looked through the book at the auto store and it said the 97 and later started using some $24 thermostat. Mine was made in March. So I pulled it out at home and it didnt look special. Put one in I had on the shelf (under $4), cleaned the old O-ring, and cleaned the mating surfaces. I might have taken off the belt to do this. Nothing I thought was unusual. A year later, no leaks.

Back