Thinking about buying | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking about buying

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, TN for now...or forever
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 EB
So I may be trading the '01 Eddie Bauer that has been great (of course). I want an Explorer 4.6 LTD or Explorer ST 4.6. 4x4 0r AWD.

Couple of low mileage options that I have found are a 2010 STA and an ST LTD.

Couple of questions for you guys;
1) Neither has Nav, how difficult/expensive to install an aftermarket nav system, are there any major hurdles?

2) The LTD does not have a sunroof, Are there aftermarket outfits that install quality sunroofs, would you recommend it? If you are near Nashville, do you know any?

3) OK, a few questions, Any major problem areas I should be wary of?
Any input is welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buy a Garmin or equivalent. They are pretty cheap. Keep it in the center console and it will be at your fingertips whenever you need it.

I am not a fan of sunroofs and never open mine. I wouldn't use any aftermarket company and have one installed. IMO your opening up a can of worms to possible leaks and rust.

I just had to replace the cam phasers in my 08 with only 32,000 miles on it.
They didn't fail but they had been knocking.
Also, some folks have experienced broken exhaust manifold studs.
There are a number of other things that can go wrong. Search for posts by Tech by Trade if you want to see everything he needed to do with his truck.

Lastly, go with the 2010 STA. You will love it!
Good luck

Buy a Garmin or equivalent. They are pretty cheap. Keep it in the center console and it will be at your fingertips whenever you need it.

I am not a fan of sunroofs and never open mine. I wouldn't use any aftermarket company and have one installed. IMO your opening up a can of worms to possible leaks and rust.

I just had to replace the cam phasers in my 08 with only 32,000 miles on it.
They didn't fail but they had been knocking.
Also, some folks have experienced broken exhaust manifold studs.
There are a number of other things that can go wrong. Search for posts by Tech by Trade if you want to see everything he needed to do with his truck.

Lastly, go with the 2010 STA. You will love it!
Good luck

I kinda like the in dash nav and like the option of syncing up the phone with it.
I love a sunroof, and mine is used ALOT, either tilted up or open. I kinda feel the same about aftermarket but I remember when I was looking at Explorers in '01 a dealer told me he could have an ASC sunroof installed with a lifetime warranty where as the factory was 3/36.

I would hold of and go with a factory sunroof ST, if it is that important to you. I couldn't find an ST without one when I was looking. If you buy it from a Ford dealer you can get a Ford extended warranty that covers every darn thing for under $2,000. I have not used mine yet. You can look at my thread about that.....

I had to do spark plugs (scary on a 2007) and replace the radiator right after I bought it. I replaced my stereo head unit and speakers. It is a standard opening so you will have no problems putting in a NAV unit. There are options to retain your steering wheel controls and such also. I went with an LCD double din Kenwood unit but did not get NAV as I have an Android phone and the nav and directions work excellent for my needs. The voice talks into my bluetooth head unit, so no problem there.

I read Tech for Trade's posts before buying. :) He has a 4.0. I would only buy one with the 4.6, personally, but plenty of people like the 4.0.

Plenty of STA's come with the 4.0. That's kind of why I threw it out there.
Then again my 08 with 4.6 had the dreaded cam phaser knock with only 30,000 miles and my wife could swear she heard it with much fewer miles.
I never noticed until it got to be around 30k.
I guess between the radio, a/c or heater? But once I noticed
it was obvious.

Regarding the in dash NAV, I love mine! Back when I was searching for my STA I didn't want it. It was an expensive option! But I did get spoiled with it and prefer it over anything else.
However if I was looking to buy and found a good deal close to home without one I wouldn't pass on it since these trucks are difficult to come by.

Cam Phaser knock?

More info please...

I just bought my 07 ST with 52k miles. I also use my sunroof every time I get in. It, unless it's raining or it's cold out. I love the power and the smooth ride of mine. No issues yet.

My manifold stud broke no big deal makes a little noise till it heats up. My drive shaft bearing went thank god under warranty since you have to replace the whole driveshaft (poor design). Right wheel bearing went also covered under warranty. Dreaded third break light leak fixed by dealer. I have 53000 miles on her now.

Headrests

While perusing the internet I have found a few comments regarding the factory headrests, seems they may be angled forward?

Is this truly an issue, or a Ford Hater point of attack?
Are there any aftermarket headrests?

My wife had a problem with her Hyundai headrests as they were too far forward for her. Government regulation crap causes these kind of things. You just need to see if it is right for you. I have NO problems with the headrests.

Back