Should I buy an explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I buy an explorer

Another thing to remember is the Explorer, like the venerable Crown Victoria, has been utilized for a number of years (since 1996 for the CV and since 2013 for the Ford Explorer PIU) by law enforcement. A crappy model wouldn’t hold up to the daily use and abuse law enforcement files out to their vehicles and God knows they wouldn’t drive unreliable junk to perform their vital services. Just Google “best selling police car” and you’ll be surprised at how units have sold since the inception of the Ford Explorer PIU. I love mine as it’s been flawless since I purchased it two weeks ago...I can’t say that about my Sister’s Durango or my brothers Jeep Grand Cherokee...

Nation's most popular police car is now an SUV

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't take me wrong, I'm not knocking the Explorer. I've had 2 myself and am looking forward to the 2020 redesign as my next possible Explorer. It's just that I'm happy that I lease mine and am able to avoid all these issues that some members are having with them. Vehicle is always under warranty so basically there is little cost other than gas and oil changes. Both of mine were trouble free all the time that I had them. Not being a high mileage driver also helps.:)

Peter

Explat you stated >I would not be visiting any dealer if this Explorer Platinum was trouble free in the first place< PERFECT ANSWER SIR. Dealer is not the reason the Explorer is having issues. The Explorer after being in production for years/decades should be closer to somewhat perfect then it is

Explat you stated >I would not be visiting any dealer if this Explorer Platinum was trouble free in the first place< PERFECT ANSWER SIR. Dealer is not the reason the Explorer is having issues. The Explorer after being in production for years/decades should be closer to somewhat perfect then it is
I don't think any vehicle is trouble free. That even applies to Rolls Royce which recently had a recall. Even though I haven't had any issues, I visit the dealer for my oil changes and seasonal wheel/tire changes.

Peter

Don't take me wrong, I'm not knocking the Explorer. I've had 2 myself and am looking forward to the 2020 redesign as my next possible Explorer. It's just that I'm happy that I lease mine and am able to avoid all these issues that some members are having with them. Vehicle is always under warranty so basically there is little cost other than gas and oil changes. Both of mine were trouble free all the time that I had them. Not being a high mileage driver also helps.:)

Peter

Agreed on the lease, I have a short commute to work and minimal driving aside from that. I researched both used and new Explorers and a few of the posts I found here led me to be a bit hesitant on purchasing over leasing, I leased and that gives me the peace of mind that Ford will want to keep the car maintained if something comes up because they own it.

That being said I have had no issues that warranted a trip to the dealer yet other than regular maintenance.

Let's talk reliability now guys, JD Power have the explorer 2.5/5 rating, which is below average, but how does that reflect to actually reliability for you guys? Do you feel like the rating is accurate to what you've experienced or an understatement? Has the vehicle ever given you any uncertainty about dependability?

Let's talk reliability now guys, JD Power have the explorer 2.5/5 rating, which is below average, but how does that reflect to actually reliability for you guys? Do you feel like the rating is accurate to what you've experienced or an understatement? Has the vehicle ever given you any uncertainty about dependability?

I don't buy that to be actually true from my experience so far. I mean, there wouldn't be so many of them on the road if it was that bad.

J.D. Power most recently evaluated the 2017 Explorer and gave it four out of five stars — "better than most" — for overall quality, and three stars ("about average") for overall performance and design, and predicted reliability.
2018-ford-explorer-buying-guide-crossover/

Peter

Sounds like you need a new vehicle with a warranty, specific individuals commenting in a thread is pretty biased depending on who likes the title of the thread created. I would just read through the pages a few deep to get a sense of what you're getting into. Fishing for info could skew your judgement.

Fishing for info could skew your judgement.
I get where you're coming from, and the same could happen with any other brand, each has their own problems. I will be coming out of an 08 Toyota 4Runner whenever I buy a new vehicle, which is an amazing vehicle, and Toyota's are known for their reliability. In fact before I got the 08 I had a 97, which was as good. So since I've never had a Ford before, I dont really know what to expect, and I've heard a lot of bad things about the brand. I love what the explorer offers, I dont want the love to turn into hate and be left with regret. So basically I'm looking for 'warning signs' and see if the things I love about the explorer outweighs the possible bad.

I would get a 4runner at this point. Don't want to twist your arm. On the other hand theres people with Explorers looking at Toyota forums wondering if they should stick with an Explorer.

I would get a 4runner at this point. Don't want to twist your arm. On the other hand theres people with Explorers looking at Toyota forums wondering if they should stick with an Explorer.
Even though I like Toyota I would never get a recent 4Runner, it has a sorry excuse for a third row, which lowers cargo capacity, unacceptable safety ratings for its class, and in 2018 it's still missing most of the things that the explorer has. I am cross-shopping the explorer with the Toyota Highlander and new Mazda Cx9 though.

Honda Pilots, 06 up are reliable as the 4Runners, you should check one out. They don't have the off road capabilities. I just don't like how the Pilots look, I also like the looks of the Dodge vehicles, but Dodge=what reliability

Honda Pilots, 06 up are reliable as the 4Runners, you should check one out. They don't have the off road capabilities. I just don't like how the Pilots look, I also like the looks of the Dodge vehicles, but Dodge=what reliability
I've heard about the pilots, but I want something more recent. And I like the Dodge Durango, but Fiat doesn't seem to have their stuff together.

Even though I like Toyota I would never get a recent 4Runner, it has a sorry excuse for a third row, which lowers cargo capacity, unacceptable safety ratings for its class, and in 2018 it's still missing most of the things that the explorer has. I am cross-shopping the explorer with the Toyota Highlander and new Mazda Cx9 though.
The Automobile Journalists Association of Canada recently chose the 2018 Mazda CX9 as their top large SUV.

I researched for about a year prior to my decision to purchase my explorer. went across many forums of the vehicles i was interested in and multiple test drives. Every forum as previously stated consist of people with issues that are looking for resolutions and a ton of complaints. Personally from issues that i had with Chrysler corporation and their quality I will never by another Chrysler vehicle again no matter the line. My wife and i purchased a new Escape EcoBoost in 14' and have loved the engine with no issues with the vehicle at all.

I purchased a new 17' base 2.3 4wd and have been nothing but happy with it. personally i went with the base due to my feelings of there is less to go wrong over a long period of time without all of the fancy add ons. i average about 21 MPG daily driving (mostly city some freeway) and on long trips i have averaged 27-28 MPG. The 280 HP / 310 FT/LBS from the 2.3L EcoBoost is pretty nice output and maybe a little more noticeable due to the lower gearing in the 4wd. The only issue i have had was the gap from fender to door on the passenger side which the dealer corrected under warranty.

I recommend an extended warranty with any vehicle purchase if you plan on keeping it for any period of time as any manufacturer has issues that will need to be addressed at some point.

I researched for about a year prior to my decision to purchase my explorer. went across many forums of the vehicles i was interested in and multiple test drives. Every forum as previously stated consist of people with issues that are looking for resolutions and a ton of complaints. Personally from issues that i had with Chrysler corporation and their quality I will never by another Chrysler vehicle again no matter the line. My wife and i purchased a new Escape EcoBoost in 14' and have loved the engine with no issues with the vehicle at all.

I purchased a new 17' base 2.3 4wd and have been nothing but happy with it. personally i went with the base due to my feelings of there is less to go wrong over a long period of time without all of the fancy add ons. i average about 21 MPG daily driving (mostly city some freeway) and on long trips i have averaged 27-28 MPG. The 280 HP / 310 FT/LBS from the 2.3L EcoBoost is pretty nice output and maybe a little more noticeable due to the lower gearing in the 4wd. The only issue i have had was the gap from fender to door on the passenger side which the dealer corrected under warranty.

I recommend an extended warranty with any vehicle purchase if you plan on keeping it for any period of time as any manufacturer has issues that will need to be addressed at some point.
Great advice about the less things to go wrong thing. Extended warranty is great, but I'm more likely going to buy pre owned or used.

The Automobile Journalists Association of Canada recently chose the 2018 Mazda CX9 as their top large SUV.
Mazda has been working hard since they became an independent company and the proof is accolades it receives each year. That combined with good reliability, fun drive/ride, and being what I think is the best looking 3row crossover in the segment, makes for a vehicle that should be at the top of the crossover market.

Great advice about the less things to go wrong thing. Extended warranty is great, but I'm more likely going to buy pre owned or used.

Extended warranties are available for used vehicles too. We recently purchased one for my wife's Escape through the dealer even after the original 3/36 had expired. We went through our Ford dealer because they provided better coverage & pricing than we found online.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Extended warranties are available for used vehicles too. We recently purchased one for my wife's Escape through the dealer even after the original 3/36 had expired. We went through our Ford dealer because they provided better coverage & pricing than we found online.
Have you seen this thread? Ford ESP at dealer cost to forum members
BTW, 'used' and 'pre-owned' are the same thing.

Peter

Back