Thinking of Ditching the Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking of Ditching the Explorer

But I did get rid of the Explorer. And I couldn't be happier. CUV's are not at all for me. I got a 15 Expedition EL, it's perfect for the familytruckster role. Super happy with it. I do not miss the Explorer at all.

But I did get rid of the Explorer. And I couldn't be happier. CUV's are not at all for me. I got a 15 Expedition EL, it's perfect for the familytruckster role. Super happy with it. I do not miss the Explorer at all.

I have had a 16 Expedition Limited 3 times for a rental when my truck was in for service.. I LOVE it.. can't believe how quick it is with the ecoboost for such a heavy vehicle.

I'll add my experience to the list. Let me start by saying that I absolutely love my 2016 Explorer Sport 50% of the time. The other 50% of the time it is either in the shop or rattling and hard shifting me crazy!

My 2016 had a full transmission rebuild at 16k miles due to a complete failure(they also fixed the sunroof rattle during this visit). I understand things happen, but it took Ford almost a month to repair it, and I still feel like it could fail any day. I then had it back 2 months later for the airbag warning light, which by the way means none of the airbags in the car work if you are in an accident. Now, I have a constant clunk in the front end every time I hit a bump or change direction at a moderate to slow speed. There is a TSB for this, but this is the 3rd time in less than a year that I will have to take my car back for warranty work. Not great build quality for a $50k vehicle.

Love the looks of the truck, love the engine, I even love Sync, but there is always an issue with something on the truck.

My fathers 2005 GMC Yukon with 275k miles has less rattles, shifts better, and has been in the shop less than my 2016 Ford Explorer.
My wife's 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe has 75k miles on it and the seats still look brand new and it shifts great! My seats have large butt bubbles and the transmission has me worried it could fail again any day.

I have every intention of driving this truck until it falls apart (I was planning on 250-300k miles), but I am starting to think that might be closer to 100k miles at this pace.

Go to the dealership and have them look at your complaints. I got a 16 sport and it has not had a single issue you are describing. Have them sit in your car so they can mimic your complaints. I know Ford likes to cut corners but this sounds like something else.
That's how this all started almost a year ago. I'd say half the issues have been corrected, but there are still ongoing issues with door panel rattles as well as door fitment issues (1/4 inch gap at bottom of door yet next to no gap at top). Their solution to stop the clanking in the rear (Fold down the seats when not is use) has to be the most ridiculous solution I've heard yet, that's not a fix that's a joke. I beginning to see why they dropped the "At Ford Quality is Job 1" slogan, if you can't back it up, why use it.......

Back