THIS IS HOW TO INSTALL AN AUTOLAMP/ DIMMING REAR VIEW MIRROR | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

THIS IS HOW TO INSTALL AN AUTOLAMP/ DIMMING REAR VIEW MIRROR

BIG COUNTRY

Reaction score
City, State
EIELSON AFB, ALASKA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLS 4x4
First get the mirror with the wire connectors...and make sure you have enough so when you add your own wires to it, that your connectors will not to showing...hide them in your headliner, not thru your windshield, then...remove your old one just take a screwdriver and pop it off from under it...then put the new one one...make sure you put it on tight...or it might shake alot...now for the wires

PIN 2: WHITE/ PURPLE: park lamp relay (relay module)...look by your gas pedal on the right, behind the center of the dash above the floor heater/ ac vacuum valve motor...there is a long black relay box...remove it and open it up, if you look at it with the big relay which is the accessory delay relay on the left...the park lamp relay is the bottom second small relay...splice into the white/ purple wire that is coming off of pin 2, you will see it also going to the dimmer relay and head lamp relay...this wire is for your auto lamp to come on when you shut your vehicle off and to come on if it senses if it is dark enough...this wire should also connect up to your RAP module pin 8... (if equipped)

PIN 3: BLACK/ PINK: reverse light...run this back to the reverse light...this is so if you have your dimmer on...and when you put it in reverse, the dimmer will cut off so you can see thru the mirror when backing up...this wire should also connect up to you RAP module pin 12...(if equipped)

PIN 4: BLACK: ground...any ground...

PIN 5: LIGHT GREEN/ YELLOW: hot @ all times: interior fuse panel pin 36...remove the fuse box and find the light green/ yellow wire coming off of pin 36 and splice into it...

PIN 6: RED/ WHITE: Hot @ ignition: interior fuse panel pin 11...remove th e fuse box and find the red/ white wire coming off of pin 11 and splice into it...

and that is it to it...good luck...any questions are welcomed...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that is a good post!!! i am going to save that right now.... thanks man

no problem...i already did the message center write up also...check that out if ya want it...also, another write up on how to install a rear washer bottle...seperate from the front and rear wiper bottle pumps
i am giving back to the site...

Do you need a control box or something to run it. Mine just has the plain boring mirror and i have have a autodimming one out of a same year explorer.

no control box...i got this mirror off of a 95...cuz it has the on, dim and auto lamp button with the auto lamp glide switch...

So you actually put it in your XLS and it will turn the lights on at night and stuff? I hope i can do that to mine

yea...i sure did

thanks, works great

Back