THIS IS HOW TO INSTALL AN OPERATEABLE REAR WIPER BOTTLE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

THIS IS HOW TO INSTALL AN OPERATEABLE REAR WIPER BOTTLE

BIG COUNTRY

Reaction score
City, State
EIELSON AFB, ALASKA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLS 4x4
First get:

rear wiper fluid bottle
rear wiper fluid pump
the washer fluid lines that run up to the roof
the fill tube
factory small 5 pin relay and 5 wires that connect to it

1. now that you got everything...plug the washer fluid pump in the bottle and leave enough wire hanging out so you can make some connections...and also plug the fluid line into the washer fluid pump....
2. then place your bottle in the jack compartment...dont screw it in just yet...you will need to take off your auxilary relay box #2...this is so you will have enough room to take off your relay box and put it back on later.
3. partially take off the cargo rear left panel to where you have access to run the washer lines up to the roof...place the snap in clips into the holes as you go...next, pull off the clips that are on the roof by the cargo light and partially pull off the cargo rear right panel and pull down the headliner to where you have access to the washer fluid line adaptor, which is between the middle and the right side of the roof... remove the washer line you have on now and plug in the new line coming from the rear washer bottle.
4. remove the other line you had on before all the way behind the right side panel...you will see a red cap on one line....remove this, you will need it later...
5. now under the hood, at the washer bottle...feel for the washer fluid pump...you will feel 2 washer fluid lines...remove the one closest to the right fender, that is the one that leads to the rear...you will see the other line going to the front washer motor...after you have the other line removed...take that red cap you took off earlier from the rear line....and place it over that connector blocking it off...this means that there is fluid going to the front wipers and not the rear...important for you to do this or you will have washer fluid all over in your cargo area...
6. now the relay...you will see your relay box in the jack compartment, good thing you didnt screw in the bottle just yet, cuz now you have access to it...unscrew the relay box...i think it is 7 or 9/32 socket...once removed, take the top off... now for your other relay box you picked up from the junkyard...remove one small relay from it and to remove the wires...take off that red tab and you will see small black tabs holding the pin in, pry it back with a small screwdriver, pic, or something that will get in that hole, pry it back and pull on the wire untill it releases...take 5 wires out....now take off the red tab on your own relay box and plug those 5 wires into where you will have your relay in...
7. now wiring the relay...pay close attention: underneathe your relay, there are 5 pins, 1 2 3 4 5 they are numbered...for the 3 pins that are in a line it is: pin 1 4 2 or pin 2 4 1, however you look at it, the middle pin by itself is pin 5 and the outter pin by itself is pin 3...
8. wire pin 3 to the PURPLE/ GREEN wire off of the rear washer fluid pump.
9. wire pin 2, pin 4 and the black wire off of the rear washer fluid pump, wire them all together and place a terminal lug on it...and screw it in one of those holes you see where your rear bottle is, there is alot of them as you would see...this is your ground....
10. now wire pin 1 and pin 5 together and splice into a wire long enough that will reach up to the dash...run the wire thru the cargo rear left panel coming under the rear seat then run it thru plastic wire tunnel underneather the plastic floor trim then underneathe the dash all the way up to the rear wiper switch...cut the PURPLE/ GREEN wire coming off the switch and tape up the other side...now connect the PURPLE/ GREEN wire off the switch to the wire you ran thru up to there coming off of pin 1 or pin 5 off the relay you put in, doesnt matter which pin...cuz pin 1 and pin 5 are wired together...now plug your relay in...and FILL UP your rear bottle with some fluid...
11. now ops check to see if it works...if so, congrats...if not...check to see if you got the key on or check your connections at the relay, washer fluid pump, ground and or switch...or check to see if you got any fluid in your bottle...now, does it work...if so, install your relay box back in and screw in your rear washer bottle...no drilling...holes are already there...
12. now if you want to...take your left tail light off and drill a big hole in the top access (blocked) hole...right above where the tail light wires come out of...and run your fill tub thru there...then drill another big hole right above where the tail light is placed...you will see a circle there already...that is where the fill tube is supposed to be...then run your fill tube up thru the hole and plug it up with cap until snug....
congratulations, you now have a operateable rear washer fluid bottle...any questions? please ask...
sorry so long...i tried to get really detailed so there are no confusions...enjoy your rear washer...
i just did this yesterday...so now i am one step closer for having my XLS to a LIMITED!!! WOO HOO....
i also just got my power lumber seats...now its time to install that...

and here is my other write up

Back