Thoughts on Airing down non-drive tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thoughts on Airing down non-drive tires

Hear me out.

I've got a '94 2 Door 2WD with the 5 speed that I drive daily, but I also drive it on gravel/dirt fairly often. I'm a hiker and just generally like playing around in the woods so I find myself on 15-20 mile access road drives often. I run 255/70 R15 General AT2's on the stock 15x7 aluminum wheels and they do great out on trails, even at the 28psi that I run on the road. I don't get into anything too aggressive because it is just a 2WD.

I've been interested in trying out airing down to help with comfort on rougher terrain. A 10 mile drive to a trailhead isn't too bad because I'm hyped up to go hiking, But the 10 mile drive out the next day isn't always as enjoyable, especially after a heavy hike. I've been putting together a plan for an air system so there's no worries about that, I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or stories about airing down tires that aren't driven. I don't expect airing down to do a ton as far as traction but from what I've heard and just thinking about it I feel like the comfort would be well worth it. I'm open to any suggestions but at the end of the day I will likely just send it and see what happens.

Also any advice for pressures would be appreciated, I've never really messed with this sort of thing.

I’d air down all four tires or none at all. You say comfort would be the reason to air down, two full pressure tires would still deliver road shock, how comfortable is that?
For pressure, 15 psi is a good starting point. I used to routinely go down to 10-11 psi when I went off-road. If you don’t get into the teens at least, there’s no real point in airing down. Just have a way to pump them up again. ;)

Back