Thoughts on Platinum and King Ranch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thoughts on Platinum and King Ranch

Reaction score
City, State
DFW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
I have a 2020 Explorer Platinum, and there are so many minor issues that could be solved with software updates to make the owners and potential buyers happy. The King Ranch is just a different color offering for the Platinum with no standard AWD and nothing else, and it should have been offered since launch. The vehicle's issues won't be resolved until Sync 4 is integrated in a midcycle refresh since they're not updating Sync 3.4 like they claimed they would.

Simple spacing adjustments to the vertically oriented screen to make better use of the camera's in the car would go very far, and a retuning of the EQ for the stereo would address the boominess and resonance.

Ford's inability to address obvious flaws that have existed since launch is making me very wary of the upcoming Bronco and Mach-E that I'd otherwise be excited for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2020 Platinum, no real issues, the only thing I see in the King Ranch is the upholstery difference, not a lot else has been changed.

TBill

I really like the interior of the new Explorer King Ranch along with the upgraded materials for the 2021MY. Although, I wish they did a bit more to the exterior as it looks much like a Limited trim. They could've put bigger "Platinum wheels" on the Explorer like what Ford did with the Expedition King Ranch. Also, the grille looks very XLT-like, because of the grey accents on the grille making it look like black plastic from far away.

But other than that, I really like the new Explorer King Ranch I think it's a good idea to slot it in between the ST and Platinum. Also like how they included the 3.0 V6 for this trim. But for these top end Explorers, you're better off spilling a few more $$$ for a base Lincoln Aviator that has almost the same amount of features the Platinum has.

I have a 2020 Explorer Platinum, and there are so many minor issues that could be solved with software updates to make the owners and potential buyers happy. The King Ranch is just a different color offering for the Platinum with no standard AWD and nothing else, and it should have been offered since launch. The vehicle's issues won't be resolved until Sync 4 is integrated in a midcycle refresh since they're not updating Sync 3.4 like they claimed they would.

Simple spacing adjustments to the vertically oriented screen to make better use of the camera's in the car would go very far, and a retuning of the EQ for the stereo would address the boominess and resonance.

Ford's inability to address obvious flaws that have existed since launch is making me very wary of the upcoming Bronco and Mach-E that I'd otherwise be excited for.
Ford has never said sync 3 will be upgradable to sync 4. Infact, they have said it won't be an option. Sync 3.4 has had numerous updates including another that just came out a couple of days ago.

Ford has never said sync 3 will be upgradable to sync 4. Infact, they have said it won't be an option. Sync 3.4 has had numerous updates including another that just came out a couple of days ago.
I know it won’t be upgradeable to Sync 4, however when the car receives a manufacture mid-cycle refresh it will likely get it like the Ford Edge.

Updates seemingly have only been to address bugs. The system desperately needs an update to fix the layout of the vehicle surround camera’s, support for portrait Apple CarPlay, and general improvements for the use of space on the screen.

For something as polarizing as the tech package after looking at any comment on an article people complaining about the ‘iPad on the dash’ you’d think Ford would at least update it to change minor layout issues.

How i wish ford had a 5.0 option for the explorer. I just found out you can still get F-150's XLT's with the V8 lol.

If i only knew that before i leased my XLT smh.

I have a 2020 Explorer Platinum, and there are so many minor issues that could be solved with software updates to make the owners and potential buyers happy. The King Ranch is just a different color offering for the Platinum with no standard AWD and nothing else, and it should have been offered since launch. The vehicle's issues won't be resolved until Sync 4 is integrated in a midcycle refresh since they're not updating Sync 3.4 like they claimed they would...............................
You might see Sync 4 in the 2022 model but it looks like Ford is going to drop SYNC in favour of an Android based system as was mention.

Peter

How i wish ford had a 5.0 option for the explorer. I just found out you can still get F-150's XLT's with the V8 lol.

If i only knew that before i leased my XLT smh.

With 5.0 blocks becoming marginal at 500HP I believe that the 3.0 with 400hp from the factory would be a longer lasting option when horsepower levels are increased.:dunno:

With 5.0 blocks becoming marginal at 500HP I believe that the 3.0 with 400hp from the factory would be a longer lasting option when horsepower levels are increased.:dunno:
The old windsor based OHV 5.0's were marginal at 500, but the aluminum block coyote 32v 5.0 is good to around 950 or so before you need to sleeve the block.

But a coyote based 5.0 will not fit in a 2020+ explorer without major surgery on the firewall and/or wheelwells, I know, I checked. I myself would not hack up a brand new 60K SUV just to shoehorn a 5.0 in there. But the new 7.3 gas engine out of the super duty will fit.

My buddy has a procharged 5.0. Makes almost 600rwhp. Stock block.

But aside from that, the turbo 3.0 is probably more stout for modifications. But at the end of the day, it can never sound as good as a V8.

My sync says up to date when I check for updates. How did you get the latest update? Did you download it from somewhere?

My sync says up to date when I check for updates. How did you get the latest update? Did you download it from somewhere?
You can download it from the syncmyride page.

This is what I get; Your SYNC system (SYNC3 v3.4.20282) is up to date.

Peter
Same here. They may roll them out in phases for different VIN numbers so they don't crash their servers all at once. That's what smart phone software updates do. They roll them out by provider and not all at once. Not excatly the same thing but similar. Last update I noticed it wasn't available over the air at first only from the website download. Then later became available over WIFI.

Back