Three codes - anyone familiar with them? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Three codes - anyone familiar with them?

07EddyB

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bowling Green, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8
No check engine light but I have been getting some bucking in overdrive at low RPM and some missing and bucking at moderate to full throttle settings even after downshift. At around 100K I had bad bucking and the 'rumble strip' problem so I changed the transmission fluid and filter. That took care of it. I don't recall it having the issue under hard throttle then though.
B1884 - PAD Warning Lamp Circuit Fault
B2097 - Compass Module Failure
U2013 - Compass Module is not Responding
Possible causes of U2013:
Faulty / intermittent ignition switch connections
J1850 / SCP / CAN Bus wiring intermittently open/shorted to power or ground
Faulty / intermittent connections at Compass module
Faulty / intermittent connections at ABS Control Module (ABS)
Faulty / intermittent connections at the instrument cluster (IPC)
Faulty / intermittent connections at Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

Hard to find any info on B2097. Having been around here for awhile I'm leaning toward a bad wire or a bad coil. The Ex idles fine but it does seem like it's been down on power for awhile. I was blaming it on winter gas but it seems to be getting worse. I have also changed the plugs at 75K - I'm at 117K now. All coils are original. It is the V8.
I appreciate any insight you might have - I'm pretty much going to spend the evening researching.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any cheap coils installed? Also these trucks have brittle wiring. I looked at one I almost bought, it had random codes, and a cat converter that wasn't worth to replace.

Maybe the rubber boots on the coils are breaking down.

I replaced all the coils and dead spot went away.

Put in 2oz of shudder fixx in the tranny.

Any cheap coils installed? Also these trucks have brittle wiring. I looked at one I almost bought, it had random codes, and a cat converter that wasn't worth to replace.
All coils are original - at 117k right now. Plugs replaced about 75K.

Maybe the rubber boots on the coils are breaking down.

I replaced all the coils and dead spot went away.

Put in 2oz of shudder fixx in the tranny.
I'm going to take it out today with Torque connected and watch for misfires. It isn't throwing a code but real time data on the app can log them.

Just took her out - getting on it produced a shudder and I e ded up with 24 misfires logged.
Unfortunately they aren't limited to one cylinder.
This is how it broke down:
  1. 0
  2. 3
  3. 12
  4. 5
  5. 1
  6. 2
  7. 1
  8. 0

Considering that the highest count was on 3, I swapped the 1 and 3 coils and took it out again. The difference was very noticable. It wasn't until the end that I got it to log a misfire at all. Looks like 5 total on this trip.
  1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 3
  4. 0
  5. 0
  6. 0
  7. 1
  8. 1
So #3 still logged the highest count even with a different coil. Looking like it might be the plug. I'm going to run it for now and see what develops since it's running much better than it was.

Easy test if it is the converter or coils.
Touch the brake slightly when it happens (don't lift off the gas).
That unlocks the converter.
If it goes right away, that is a converter issue.

OK - you read it here - I'm an idiot.
For some reason I had it in my head that the cylinder numbers were odd one side - even the other. After checking again today and finding most misfires on number 3 I started thinking about it. A quick Google search told me that I swapped the coils on the #1 and #2 cylinders. That would pretty much explain why I'm still getting the most misfires on #3.
So I swapped #3 and #2 after work and took it out. The max number of misfires on a cylinder on a short trip was 3. Both #2 and #3 had 3 misfires. Hopefully a longer drive tomorrow will flesh things out a little better.

I replaced all the spark plugs with the new design - the SP-547. I had changed the plugs when it had right at 80K on it - it has 118K now. So pretty close to only 40K on those plugs. I took it out with Torque hooked up to it and I could not get it to log even a single misfire. So, apparently the plugs were the problem.
The old plugs didn't look bad other than normal shortening of the tip.

Back