Anyone familiar with BFG Long Trail T/A's ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone familiar with BFG Long Trail T/A's ??

Has anyone had BFG Long Trail T/A's? I recently bought my first Explorer and tires are in order. The site has been very helpful in getting my rig in shape. I am looking to go with 31x10.5's. Sam's Club has the Long Trails for about $75 ea. Hard to pass up when the same size BFG All Terrain T/A's are over $100 ea. I know the tread is less aggressive, hence the name, and the 50,000 mile warranty. None of the other LT tires at Sam's had a mileage warranty. I can live with the less agressive tread for now and I'm really liking the 50k warranty.
One thing... the price difference... Great deal, but why might they be so much cheaper???
Maybe Sam's just bought a ton of that certain type or..... Is the long trail some kinda "brand X" product made under license from BFG?
I'm hopping to get some insight on this. From what I have read, BFG tires are highly supported. Just making sure they don't "sub out" productions on some models.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm pretty sure that the All-Terrain is a much tougher tire. Probably built with more sidewall plies than the Long Trails, and like you said, deeper tread. Also, the rubber compound may be different who knows? Dead Link Removed

Try checking the BFG website. I remember seeing cross section views of each model tire detailing the construction. I used to run Trail T/As, which are similar to the Long Trails, on another truck, and thought they were great. I got them cuz they had a less aggressive tread than the All-Terrains. As for the price difference, its not a well known tire like the AT, and the AT now has some sort of set price from BFG that dealers can't go lower than, and if they do, risk BFG yanking the whole BFG tire line from that dealer.

------------------
Bill Collins
93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Modified

The BFG long trails are good tires, the same quality as any other BFG tires, the only difference is it is without a doubt a street tire. The tread is very similar to the Michelin LTX M/S. You won't get the filled in white letters like all the other BFG tires. They are like every other tire out there with the white outline letters. Hope this helps some.

------------------
Rob Slade
'95 XLT 4x4
30x9.5 All Terrain KO's
K&N Air Filter System
Manik: Grill Guard
Taillight Guards
Step-Up Bars
Surco Safari Rack
2 Hella Black Magic's
4 Hella 500's
2 Punch DVC 10's
More to come...

I am now running the Long Trails. I have the P225/75 R15. They are great. Enough traction for what I do (occasional trails in Michigan). LukeDog3D is correct, they have thinner sidewalls than the All Terrian T/A's. Three days after I got mine at Sam's, I got side swiped on the rear passenger tire, and the lady's bumper sliced right through it, about four inches long. I would reccomend them though, if they serve the purpose you expect them to do. They aren't the All Terrian T/A's, but they are a great tire.

------------------
1992 Explorer XL
4.0 L V6 5 Speed Manual

Appreciate the info. I must admit, I'm kinda "yearning" for the A/T's. I gotta admit, living in Colorado, the agressive tread is a plus. I'm just hoping the mileage on the All Terrains is decent, even without a warranty.
Anyone go some info on tire life with the All Terrains?
Thx

Hi Wabbit,
I have 66K on my BFG A/T's and still have tread. Dead Link Removed Waiting for the Trail master lift so I can go 33 KO's. I got more then enough tread to last until then.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

Thanks Ray,
Another check in the "pro's" column for the A/T's. And knowing me, when the time comes to execute the transaction, the $30+ price savings on the Long Trails will be of little consolation when faced with the prospect of buying my "second choice" or the tires I really want.

Wabbit-I got the BFG Longtrails on my '91XLT. Its gotta be the smoothest, quietest tires I ever had. Its excellent on the highway and holds its own when doing some light offroading. Ultimately, you got to ask yourself how much time you'll be spending offroad versus how much time you'll be on the highway. The Longtrails will give you better mpg since they have less roll resistence on the highway. I had Yokohama 30x9.5-15 Super Diggers at one point and averaged about 17mpg. By going to the 31x10.5-15 Longtrails, I now get 19-20mpg uncorrected which means I'm actually doing even better.

Thanks S.Matsushige and all...
I am considering my usage conditions. Most of my miles will be highway but in the wintertime highway can get pretty nasty here. I mean, they plow the roads but if you slide off it's not gonna be a grassy field, more like a 200' drop to an icy river. The low percentage of off-roading can be trails that are loose slide rock and switchbacks.
The Long Trails have a lot of value and dutifully suit their purpose. As for me, I'm going just a bit more agressive and it seems with quality tires, the wear mileage is good.

------------------
'91 Explorer XLT 4WD

I am running Long Trails...also from Sam's...and I have had them for 8,000 miles so far. These tires were GREAT in the snow...and rain. Hold very well for cornering. My boss has 31X10.50 Long Trails on his Blazer ZR-2 and he said they are excellent for off roading, but very soft sticky mud is not their forte. He has never got stuck, but has had some spinning in deeper mud. i LOVE the tires. They are VERY tough tires and wear very nicely...the little stubble on new tires stayed on mine for at least 3,000 miles! :) These are by far the best truck tires I have had. So far they have never let me down..not even when I drove through snow up to my air dam! We have Bridgestone Duelers on our van and they have similar tread pattern, but they have no treadlife..they are basically worn at 30,000 miles! I have heard of BGF Long trails lasting for up to 80,000 miles!

------------------
TravisN1@AOL.COM
1995 XLT 4x4

Back