Throttle Body Mod on 2002 sohc 4.0 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Throttle Body Mod on 2002 sohc 4.0

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191709&highlight=gasket+throttle

Post 31 has pics. you don't need to cut the teeth off the gasket, just swap it out with a regular paper one. It works fine :thumbsup:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

KPPC,

when you say take off the throttle body, does that mean remove the whole thing from the engine or just removing the air intake hose from the mouth of it? I'm about to clean the throttle body on my Ex with cleaner soon and was wondering about this throttle body mod you guys are talking about. I noticed my Explorer with the 4.0L is a little sluggish taking off from a redlight and my MPG suck 10.2 MPG city or so. My Ex has been fully tuned up except the throttle body cleaning. Can you post up the instructions/tools needed for doing this throttle body mod and do you know if I have to disconnect the battery when I go to spray clean the throttle body with throttle body cleaner? I don't think I need to, but I was wondering about the computer having to re-learn the difference in the throttle body after a cleaning. Thanks for any info you can supply on this!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ronin is correct. I have a 02 so mine was built int the throttle body, the 04+ have it in a gasket. You can replace the gasket or just cut the gasket. But the pictures in that thread show exactly what you have to do.

I have NEVER saw any performance or MPH increase by only modding a TB. Any gains that you feel will most likely be mental.

I have NEVER saw any performance or MPH increase by only modding a TB. Any gains that you feel will most likely be mental.

So your'e telling me that those fins inside the throttle body do not restrict the air flow going into the engine at any rpm?

I get the feeling those vanes direct airflow and help reduce turbulence. I could see flattening the edge of the vane down helping SOME, and smoothing out any rough spots. Just DO NOT polish.
You should've dynod it, you can get .1 mpg by thinking you're increasing gas mileage and driving different.

If I was you, I'd go get a new TB, smooth it out and leave the vanes.

http://www.thunderpress.net/Articles/motorcycle_products/reviews/2009/02/Boyesen_Power_X-Wing_Re/
Look at this, people install these fins for performance gains. BTW, 2.5 hp is alot on a dirt bike considering a 450f makes 50 horses.

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191709&highlight=gasket+throttle

Post 31 has pics. you don't need to cut the teeth off the gasket, just swap it out with a regular paper one. It works fine :thumbsup:
>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks Ronin! I took a look on page #2 of that link you gave me where the pics are located in post #31. So to do this throttle body mod, you only need to swap out the gasket for a new one, not grind any fins or ribs down with a dremel tool right? I'm going to try the cleaning spray first for the throttle body then go from there. I saved that web page to my favorites list for future reference on that mod, thanks again for the info.

Ronin is correct. I have a 02 so mine was built int the throttle body, the 04+ have it in a gasket. You can replace the gasket or just cut the gasket. But the pictures in that thread show exactly what you have to do.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for the info KPPC! Swapping out the gasket sounds easier to do than grinding out those fins. Also KPPC, in that post "Ronin" supplied to me with the photos of "High Order" doing the gasket mod, is that the old gasket he is holding in his left hand with the black teeth or posts sticking out of it. In that pic you also see a blue handled nut driver and some washers laying on the table. Just so you know what pic I am referring to.

Throttle Body Cleaned

I spray cleaned the throttle body port this morning with CRC Throttle Body Cleaner. I sprayed in short bursts while holding open the butterfly with my finger and used up approx 1/3rd the can. I saw some brownish colored residue drip out of the mouth of the throttle body port and on to the rag I placed underneath the opening. As I sprayed, I also worked the butterfly open and closed with my finger. When I went to start the vehicle up after the cleaning, it took approx 8-10 trys to get the engine running again. Kept stalling out at first. I figured this was from left over cleaning fluid and any gunk that broke loose from the cleaning. I let it idle in the driveway for a few minutes, then took it for a ride on the Thruway to open it up and burn off anything left in the engine combustion chamber. Got it up to 85mph at one point, seems to pick up speed better now. It also revs up nice and smooth in idle as well. Sounds like the engine is breathing better and clearer. Feels a little quicker as well. I hope to see some better gas mileage, could use it.

Back