• Register Today It's free!

Throttle Body not closing

lv_tech_marc

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
I have a 93 explorer XLT and it has been running great for a few years. It had a total rebuild before it was bought (about 2 years before I bought it, old lady had it) The issue I am having is that the throttle body is getting stuck randomly half open. This makes it hard for the car to stop becuase it is idleing at like 1500 in drive, and when put in park it is at like 3000 rpms. I have taken off cruze control cable and still does it. I took off the other cable for the gas pedal and still could not get it to close. I had bought another one off the net and it was used and it did the same thing right away. Once driving it is getting stuck, like when it is warmed up. I have taken off both throttle cables and have to open and release the cable several time and after a few times it would go back to the stop place on the TB. With the truck off I still cant get it to close unless I open and release it a few times. I have taken off the Throttle Position sesnor and it does not make a Differance. Whould could be causing this?

It is very unsafe to drive due to the high RPMs it hard to stop and keep stopped. I am a computer tech, and I do know how to troubleshoot and work on cars, but this has me confused due to with nothing hooked up to the TB and it still wont release. I have done the KOEO and KOER and only code was for not taping the brake. So if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

is the throtle body actually getting stuck 1/2 open, the plate, or just high revs?

I'd say that your throttle cable is getting hooked up somewhere in the engine bay, being routed somewhere it's not supposed to be, or your IAC is getting stuck open.

Back