Tick, tick, tick: The infamous front of engine sound | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tick, tick, tick: The infamous front of engine sound

This thread would have been really, really funny (actually, I laughed my ass off when you said, "it's gone!" only to say "it's back...", several times), if it wasn't so tragic...

I have exact same problem, brothers...

I think the only real solution is to change the entire truck...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By the way, I put some bearing grease (one tablespoon worth) all over the grooved part of the belt today. It reduced the noise quiet a bit. Like 98%. But I think it's only temporary. It will probably come back tomorrow.

But what does the fact that grease cut the noice tell us about the potential problem?

BTW, all the pulleys were spinning well, even with the grease

Tomorrow, I will put some grease on the back smooth part. See if that will do something.

I am slowly but surely going insane.

Putting anything on a pulley surface is not a prudent thing to do.

I live in the philippines, and I bought this truck because there are many rough roads here.

One thing I noticed is that when I put a new belt on, it usually lasts about 150miles before the noise returns.

Also, one time, i put a brand new belt on, but went through a huge puddle of mud. Then, the noise came on almost immediately after wards (like 10miles after the mud).

Could it be that there are dust and fine sand type that collect on the grooves of the pulleys and the belt, making them squeak? Partinularly since the engine gives off some grime due to gas burn. So this will stick to the pulleys and the belt, and this grime in turn collects fine particles.

have you by chance cleaned the pulleys and belt teeth carefully with water/soap/alcohol to get them SUPER CLEAN and test for noise afterwards?

As Elton John voiced, "the ***** is back".

For the last week the damn ticking has returned.

Today I eliminated the noise by replacing the idler pulley.

After you put your idler pulley on, did you try to move it by hand to see if there is any wiggle (like 2 milimeters or so)?

Mine has some wiggle.

belt tick

I've chased this noise before, I know the headache however I never reached a conclusion on mine either, it vanished as mysteriously as it came. I limited it to the crank pulley or ac compressor, the noise became more present with more belt load, ie turn on a/c and all lights/acc. try cleaning the pulleys with a wire brush and brake-kleen. other than that .....turn up the radio !! its probably not serious

And here I am in 2017 with a 1994 Explorer with the same issue. I changed the tensioner pulley only to have it clicking in less than 10 minutes.
My question is about the ps pulley. It has a lot of wiggl. It can pull out about 1/4 inch. Should i replace the pulley or the whole pump? Thanks
Lemus

If its on a 5.0, Its in the valve train . The oil pump driveshaft can get sloppy and create one heck of an annoying lifter like noise. It will eventually break or strip out and cause erratic oil pressure readings. I changed out lifters and flushed the engine before I figured out that wasn't the problem. You should take this as an opportunity to change the oil pump and timing chain.

Back