Tick, tick, tick: The infamous front of engine sound | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tick, tick, tick: The infamous front of engine sound

Is there not a square hole there somewhere on the bracket that you use to compress the spring and release the tension for belt removal replacement?

Perhaps you can't do it while the engine is running.

Interesting that a short belt made the tick go away for a week but now when the belt is broken in the tick is back.

I thought you said the tick was NOT RPM dependant. If it's the belt or any of the rotating parts assiciated with it, the tick should be.

How smooth are the seams on the belts you've tried?

I'm doin my best to try to help but if I'm not helping, I'm out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there not a square hole there somewhere on the bracket that you use to compress the spring and release the tension for belt removal replacement?

Perhaps you can't do it while the engine is running.

Not while the motor is running.

How smooth are the seams on the belts you've tried?

Not sure what you mean by "seams", but the belts appear to be perfect.

I'm doin my best to try to help but if I'm not helping, I'm out.

Much appreciated. Keep the ideas flowing.

The tensioner itself is the component which varies the most, it responds to the varying torque of the crank. It would be interesting to be able to replace the tensioner with a fixed tensioner, but that may be overkill to fabricate such a thing.

Could the tensioner be to strong and streching out the belts?

Possible.

I have used two different tensioners with the same results.

I shall replace it once again later today/tomorrow and see how that goes.

Possible.

I have used two different tensioners with the same results.

I shall replace it once again later today/tomorrow and see how that goes.

Had to play plumber today. Hopefully tomorrow will be more fruitful.

Got the new tensioner today. Waiting for the motor to cool down and then installing it shortly.

The tick noise has changed. It ticks like crazy on a cold start and continues for 10-15 minutes, then it stops completely.

Hopefully the new tensioner will be the fix.

Update: I installed the new belt tensioner ( a 5 minute task ).

To once again substantiate the ticking was without a doubt a belt driven phenomenon, the truck was started and idled and revved with absolutely no ticking.

The drive belt was reinstalled ( a 2 minute task ) and the truck started. My ears were greeted with the maddening tick.

After listening with the naked ear as well as with the stethoscope, I think I narrowed the search for the source of the tick to the idler pulley ( a brand new one to boot ).

I removed the belt and the idler and took a hard look at the idler. I located a “cut” in the indexed washer ( that goes between the idler and its mounting location on the block ).

I installed a new washer and reinstalled the idler and belt.

The truck was then fired up and to my surprise, there was no tick. I revved the motor and was also greeted to no ticking. A test drive confirmed the tick was absent.

However, once back to my garage, after opening the hood and revving the motor, I “think” I noticed a very slight tick at higher RPMs. I shall keep a good eye, no ear, on the state of affairs.

Al, thanks for the update!!! I will take my pulley off tomorrow and fool with the washer and see if can help diagnose this problem. I also have some new rancho shocks to put on. First, I have to work on my semi, then the xplo... Priorities! :)

Did a 130 mile road trip ( to Arcadia, FL and back ) today and there was no ticking sounds.

Fingers crossed ...

The tick is back ....

Well kinda. On a cold start after about 30 seconds, the tick becomes noticeable.

Strange thing is that the tick will be conspicuous while driving and all of a sudden ( at no particular speed or RPM ), the tick stops completely. Sometimes it returns, sometimes it doesn't.

Thos is past being a nuisance.

I am not sure, but think the sound is emanating from either the water pump or the power steering pump. I am unable to isolate it even with a stethoscope. I once again confirmed the sound is absolutely not present with the belt removed.

I have never had a water pump make intermittent sounds ( when making sounds, the noise has been constant ). Has anyone had intermittent sounds ( tick ) from their water pump.

Same for the power steering pump.

HELP, please.

With everything else replaced, the water pump of course is possible. I have never seen one make noise, even when mine went out. I assume you've checked for coolant leakage from the bleeder hole in the water pump? Just making sure you've covered everything, here.

With everything else replaced, the water pump of course is possible. I have never seen one make noise, even when mine went out. I assume you've checked for coolant leakage from the bleeder hole in the water pump? Just making sure you've covered everything, here.

The power steering pump and the water pump are all thats left.

There is absolutely no leakage from either.

Al, my water pump(NAPA) died after about 10 months and 15,000 miles, from new. There was a minor noise for a couple weeks beforehand, but not like the squeak of a pulley. Mine lost a front seal, what told me that it was the pump was a mist of coolant from behind the WP pulley. It wasn't bad at all to change, I'm used to the old Ford several hour jobs because all the front dress bolted to the pump.

Your call, it sounds like you are going to try one. FYI, the PS pump is about $150 new from Ford, I'd avoid that, which is why I'm putting up with a slight noise now.

Don, yes I am gonna replace the water pump and/or the power steering pump as soon as I can determine the culprit.

Both are original with 141k miles on them.

Since the tick is not proportional to the rpm's, I'm still leaning towards the PS pump and it being a pressure valve opening and closing.

You could always buy a really short belt (If one is available) and try to bypass the p/s pump for diagnosis purposes.....

Here's some interesting info to add to the situation...the "tick" seems to be non-existant during cold weather situations. Here in Ohio, with temps below freezing, the "tick" is not there. As soon as the weather warms up, it comes back...until the motor warms up...

I don't get it but I thought you might find it interesting that I haven't heard it since it's dropped below freezing and has stayed there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

although i have a 93, and this may or may not help... most likely not cause you've gotten it narrowed to a belt driven cause... i had someone listen to my engine when it started ticking, and he told me it was an injector... someone else told me a lifter... so i'm not sure.

i hope you find out what it is, seems like all of us want to know... i'm just having squeaks right now... i put on a new belt few weeks ago, but i have the original alternator, water pump, power steering pump and all at 260k miles... so no sure where to start..

Back