Ticking Noise and a non-usual pressure. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ticking Noise and a non-usual pressure.

Texasryan

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford explorer Sport
Okay, so i first started hearing the ticking noise when i got the truck i didn't think it was anything bad, and then as the ticking became louder i started white smoking, and my Muffler is acting like its cloggedd and trying to get something out.
It's not a steady pressure coming out it's like "Puff puff puff" if that makes any sense.
I don't quite know what the problem is, The ticking is ALWAYS there, but when it gets high it white smokes when it's low it doesn't.
I have a 1991 Ford Explorer and i would like to know how to fix the problem, or anything like that.
If this helps any, it's puffing out VERY hot.

"White" smoke is bad. That's water in the combustion. On a 1st Gen X that usually means the head is cracked as its very rare to just blow a head gasket.

As the motor gets hot the oil gets thinner so you get lower oil pressure. Lower oil pressure means less pump up in the lifters which means for slap in the rocker arms. I don't think the louder ticking is causing the white smoke. It just happens at the same time. As the motor gets hotter the crack is probably expanding making the smoke worse.

Since you have water in the combustion chamber you probably also have water in the oil (will look like a milk shake). Take off the oil fill cap and look in there. Also, when the truck is cold pull off the radiator cap and see if its milky in there.

When things crack the oil/water/combustion chamber all mix. Not good.. If you drive it with water in the oil you can end up burning up bearings which means you rebuild the entire motor. That gets more expensive..

Been a while since I priced the parts, but a "new" set of heads (don't bother with used heads, you won't find good ones) is about $700 in parts.. That is heads, gaskets and head bolts. You can do other things when your there like water pump and thermostat etc, but the minimum is just gaskets, heads and head bolts.

If your not in the rust belt (won't break exhaust manifold bolts) changing the heads isn't that hard of a job. Figure 2 days if you work at a slow pace, put all the parts in baggies and mark where they came from. A 2nd set of eyes and hands will really help if you haven't done it before.

We can walk you through it.. There really are only a couple special tools. an e-torx bit set (may not even need them) and a t55 (IIRC) torx bit for the head bolts. You will also need a torque wrench (can use a cheap one from Harbor Freight tools). A breaker bar/piece of pipe will come in handy too.

~Mark

Well see, there is NO milkshake,
My friend that is a Diesel mechanic, thinks i have a cracked intake manifold gasket, which is the cause of the leaking.
Because i have a leak in my radiator but i have NO idea where, and he saw that there was a puddle where the intake manifold usually is.
And it's funny you say that, because my oil is getting thicker when i overheat?! It's quite weird.
Ever since my truck started overheating again, i noticed the oil pressure go up and not down.

Back