Ticking noise inside rear quarter panel with key on? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ticking noise inside rear quarter panel with key on?

tjmc25

Reaction score
City, State
western, wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
So the girlfriend tells me her explorer is making a "ticking" noise. I go out to explore it and find its a constant relay possibly kicking in and out, its very regular, only when the key is on, does nothing different if I rev it up or anything. What is inside that panel that could be causing this? If i figure that out then maybe I can just pull a fuse till Im able to get in there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After doing a search on here, I went and did a little more exploring. Seems to be something with the rear heather and A/C motor. Is this gonna be a pain in the butt to get to or not too bad?

Sounds like the rear blend door actuator. There are many threads about it. As I understand it, it's not too bad to swap out. A lot easier than the front actuator.

Good luck with the fix. :D:thumbsup:

Yeah, sounds like the rear temp blend door actuator. Ticking coming from behind the left rear interior quarterpanel? Turn the ignition to "on" (no need to start engine) and try having someone slowly turn the rear temperature controller (overhead in the back seat) to 12:00 position and see if the clicking stops -- that's a sure sign that it's the temp blend door actuator.

Check here for a great writeup on changing the rear blend door actuator with pics (click the link in the first post):

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199644

and here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1844079#post1844079

Good luck!

Best Writeup Ever for Blend Door Actuator fix!

Although it was a pain (cold weather and hard spot to get to in the rig), replacement of my rear Blend Door Actuator saved me HUGE BUCKS and gave me a nice feeling of manly satisfaction! I know it's an old post, but well worth resurrection if you hear a clicking in your Explorers rear heat/air unit. The part only cost me $38 at my local store and now I have HEAT in the back.

THANKS SFBAYJAY!

Yeah, sounds like the rear temp blend door actuator. Ticking coming from behind the left rear interior quarterpanel? Turn the ignition to "on" (no need to start engine) and try having someone slowly turn the rear temperature controller (overhead in the back seat) to 12:00 position and see if the clicking stops -- that's a sure sign that it's the temp blend door actuator.

Check here for a great writeup on changing the rear blend door actuator with pics (click the link in the first post):

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199644

and here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1844079#post1844079

Good luck!

Glad to know this helped someone out. Lord knows I've gotten a ton of help from others on this forum over the years!

So the girlfriend tells me her explorer is making a "ticking" noise. I go out to explore it and find its a constant relay possibly kicking in and out, its very regular, only when the key is on, does nothing different if I rev it up or anything. What is inside that panel that could be causing this? If i figure that out then maybe I can just pull a fuse till Im able to get in there.
I've got the same problem 2007 Ford Explorer V8

Same problem what's the solution

Back