• Register Today It's free!

Ticking Noise

sjjones

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 4X4 XL
94 Explorer 4X4 4 liter. Vehicle runs pretty good, but has a little rough idle compared to when it was new. Now has 110K.

I'm noticing a fairly light tick tick at idle. Wasn't so pronounced before. I also notice a throatier sound upon exceleration. At first I thought it was a small hole developing in the muffler, but am now associating the tick tick with perhaps a leaking manifold.

At one time I was thinking the rough idle may be coming from the lower manifold sucking air. I am now thinking I may have a leaking exhaust manifold. Could someone please tell me what type of test, or what to look for, to determine what the issue is. One thing is that I do want to get rid of the throaty sound. Mind you, most folks who hear what I call throaty think its normal - its just that I specifcially remember it was quieter before. Many thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don`t know about the throaty sound unless the intake system has a leak.

The ticking is most likely your hydraulic lifters, I have it too.

try changing your oil i know my friends old jeep was making all these wiers noises unitl he changed his oil

Thanks Folks.

I suspect an intake manifold leak or the exhaust manifold leak. Difficult for me to determine which. I am reluctant to try sraying the flamable stuff along the intake to see if I get a higher rpm - just seems dangerous spraying a flamable aresol on a running engine - but may try anyway :)

Oh, in response to the oil suggest - good suggestion - but I relegiously change oil and filter at 3K or less using Mobile 5-30 Syn. Obviously overkill, but I like doing it. Only have about 1K since last oil change. It ain't the oil :) BTW, I only use Mobile 1 because I live in Alaska and the truck starts a lot easier in the winter. I do get some minor leaks using synthetic, very minor, but the trade off for easier starts is worth it.

Back