• Register Today It's free!

Ticking on a 2000 Explorer

Vikerex

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
When I first start it up I get a "ticking" noise, then after it warms up it seems to go away. If I shut it off for awhile, and start it up it is louder, but it too seems to go away. 2000 Explorer with a V6 SOHC. :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does it tick at low rpms? does it go away if you rev it?

check your wires to see if your ignition wires are arching -- have you noticed a misfire or rough idling?

-Drew

No it doesn't go away if I rev it, it only makes it faster. No misfiring, or rough idling.

is your fan off balance? probably not it, but check that it's spinning perfectly straight

Maybe its related to the chain in the engine? Being thats a its a SOHC? Because theirs no "lifters" to speak of, but it sounds like its a rotating part somewhere.

i have some ticking in my ex too, its an exhaust manifold leak. That could very well be your problem. mine goes away after its been running for a while too. but when cold its very loud and annoying.

Missing & tweeting...

I too found this to be the case and replaced my wires. However, THEN I noticed that I had a "tweeting" noise coming from the coil pack. I looked closely at the coil pack and two wires were shorting INSIDE the pack. I fuzzed around with it for quite a while trying to fix the noise. Finally began to notice the motor missing out and decided to change out the coil pack. Missing and tweeting all gone now.

HTH

Dave

Explorer96xlt said:
i have some ticking in my ex too, its an exhaust manifold leak. That could very well be your problem. mine goes away after its been running for a while too. but when cold its very loud and annoying.

i agree with this, my Thunderbird has this problem and i've only noticed it lately with colder weather.

have you checked your oil

Ford_Racing_Guy said:
i agree with this, my Thunderbird has this problem and i've only noticed it lately with colder weather.

Very likely exhaust leak issue. As the metal expands from cold to hot, it seals the leak. Then, when cooling, contracts and opens the leak. Warping of the manifold can also manifest in this way.

i've had the noise for the last year and a half. I guess I *should* have it replaced. The general consensus on the board is that the exhaust gasket (aka the donut gasket) is bad. That ticking you hear is the opening and closing of the exhaust valves.

-=bmacd=-

00XLS said:
Maybe its related to the chain in the engine? Being thats a its a SOHC? Because theirs no "lifters" to speak of, but it sounds like its a rotating part somewhere.

Mine is quite loud too. It was warm today, and it seemed extra loud - and didn't go away. Chain? Hmmmm if I were to guess at it, that's what it sounds like to me. Very loud, keeps pace with RPM, and metallic sounding.

Any remedy for this? It doesn't sound like something I should ignore for too long. No way I'm taking it to a dealer though...

Yeah I have this problem when accelerating. but a little while on the freeway it quiets down but comes back when at slower diving conditions.

bump for update.

are you sure it isn't the injectors ticking?

Back