ticking sound (valves?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ticking sound (valves?)

thunder92

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 4.0 4x4
Ok the wifes 02 4.0 v6 has a ticking sound and slight vibration/stumble. Even after its ran for a while. I recently found the previous owner had installed 2 spark plug wires in wrong order. I fixed that problem and changed plugs,wires and ignition pack while in there. The check engine light went away but there is still this tick and vibration. Maybe not related but worth mentioning. Car doesn't run horrible just a little off and I don't want it getting worse. Oil not bad or old either. I just put in a half can of sea foam just for the heck of it. Gonna change oil in few days.

Where should I look? I need replace the valve cover gaskets anyway. Not really sure what I should be looking for here though. Rocker, valve? This is not something I've worked on before in a car.

Thanks for any advise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

stupid thing threw another service engine light. Will go tonight to get read. Probably misfire cyl 5 again. Been fine for week.
2002 4.0 firing order is this right?

firewall
3 6
2 5
1 4
-radiator-

coil pack:

1 2 3

5 6 4

really only very small ticking now. I'll try a video tomorrow. Had codes read tonight and it said misfire cylinder 4 and 5. Person at autozone recommended maybe I look at fuel injector o rings. I guess I need a manual for this car now. Have no idea how to do that or how hard but it sounds like a cheap option to rule things out. Plus need to replace valve cover gasket anyway.

update: just looked. I think I see it below the lower intake manifold. Guess I have a little project on my hands. Is there a way to test the injectors to make sure they are working correct? Or should I just inspect them first? With 130k Miles I wouldn't be surprised of a bad o ring or 3.

stupid thing threw another service engine light. Will go tonight to get read. Probably misfire cyl 5 again. Been fine for week.
2002 4.0 firing order is this right?

firewall
3 6
2 5
1 4
-radiator-

coil pack:

1 2 3

5 6 4

You are correct.

From my shop manual:

Engine Ignition — 4.0L SOHC

The firing order is: 1-4-2-5-3-6.

Coil Terminal-To-Cylinder Relationship

40FiringOrder.jpg

Hope this helps out. :biggthump

ok spark plugs were off a little. Guess I was in a little hurry. around .40 instead of .54. Regapped and reset battery. Still seems to stumble a bit but we'll see if the light comes back on. A little white smoke on startoff too but it is 30degrees out. Could be that or something else.

well so far so good I guess. At least no engine light in over 100miles since regappging. Still hear a little tick tick though. I am starting to think I have a blown head gasket creeping up. I had recently done a sea foam treatment and I think maybe it got rid of whatever was holding the last bit together. Maybe thats why I have a small bit of white smoke now. Thats just a guess though. On top of it all this usually reliable car had the o/d light blinking and said to check transmission! I had just used the o/d probably for the first time ever the other day so I assume something got stuck etc... Anyway it went away for now but I'm hating the fact the transmission fluid is harder to check on these cars. Maybe time to drop the pan on this one and inspect and refill.

I wonder if anyone has done a flush through the trans supply hose on an explorer. A little harder to do since checking the fluid can't be done under the hood. But after changing mine last time the fluid was still pretty ugly after a while. Not enough got changed out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdPAadc9fY

Oh wait this won't work because you can't add fluid as your drain the old. Oh well.

Back