Ticking sound when I let off gas to shift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ticking sound when I let off gas to shift

fatboy0186

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I have a '91 XLT with about 92,000 miles. It's got the 5-speed and everything is stock, for now. I took it to the shop for some repair, and I got a new radiator, new fan, new valve cover gaskets, a new intake manifold gasket, and a new water pump. Well, ever since I got it back, it ticks when I let off the gas to shift gears. It doesn't tick under load, but starts to tick around 1,500-2,000 rpm in neutral and with the clutch in. Anybody have any ideas as to what could be wrong? Thanks

Well, I have been reading a lot of old posts, but everyone with a ticking problem seems to have the opposite problem. People seem to have problems under load. Well I am going to attempt to describe my problem in as much detail as possible. Here goes,

I start the thing up in the morning, engine is cold. It sounds great. Back out of the driveway and drive down the street. No problems.

Now the motor is getting warm. Now I have a noise. It sounds like something rattling inside the motor. This noise only happens when I hold the gas pedal in a set position to maintain a constant speed. It does not make the noise under acceleration, load, or when I rev it up. But It Does make the noise once I back off the gas just enough to not accelerate anymore. And then it goes away if I take my foot completely off of the gas. And it does not make the noise when I coast down a hill with my foot off the gas.

The sound is a rattle type of sound, and kind of sounds like an ice cube in a blender. The noise fades in, and then fades out under load or with no gas.

In general, the noise only happens once the motor gets warmed up and only happens when I hold the gas at the point just below acceleration. Anybody have anything I should look at? From what I have read, I am thinking intake manifold gasket, MAS, fuel injectors, lifters, valves, and/or the belt might be too tight.

Might be an exhaust leak if it happens as you let off the throttle and it seems as if it's coming from one of the valve covers. At least that's my experience with Mustangs and Explorer V8s. Mine currently has one somewhere between the header on the driver's side and 2nd cat for that side. I'm not going to fix it until I can afford to replace both headers, remove the 4 cats for 2 high-flow cats, and install a dynomax cat-back exhaust. Until then, it's going to be left alone.

I've found a good way to discover an exhaust leak is to drive slowly (or idle forward) next to a tall wall with your windows open. The leak ticks will bounce off the wall and you'll be able to hear them much better. Try it, see if you hear something. Check both sides.

Back