Ticking

tjsxplodr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
So, I had an issue with a spark plug popping out back in January, of the right side furthest back spark plug. The noise got so bad, it sounded like a ticking time bomb LOL!

ANYWAYS, I am having the same rattling noise that I'd heard well before the plug popped out, however, the plugs are all tightened.
When I took my ex into the dealer to have them check it out, they pulled the passenger valve cover off, and said, worn rocker arms, push rods and lifters.
My question is, is this 'ticking' noise that I am hearing, only about above 1900 rpms, a lifter or something worse? I KNOW that these parts are worn, freakin a, the truck is 20 years old and has over 205k miles on the original engine.
Is there anything that I can put into the engine to quiet it down, or even help prevent complete failure of these parts, at least until I decide if I'm going to replace the 4.0 or stick a 5 liter in it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have read that the "ticking" is common on these and that it could either be valve trane wear or carbon build up. Ford actually does a "Seafoam" type treatment on these motors to correct the knocking/ticking issue. My 94 Sport had a nasty tick/clatter in the valve train but never caused any driveablility issues - just lousy sounding..

Hm ok. I don't want the dealer to mess with my rig. Can I buy seafoam and do it myself or is that something a professional should do? Yeah, its noisy above 1900 rpms, and its annoying lol. I just was hoping that my engine wasn't falling apart, not yet!

you can youtube seafoam and there are a million how-to vids on there - even a bunch from member on here.

Ok thank you. If its not the carbon build-up, is there something that I can do to quiet the valve train, if that is what it turns out to be? Or is that what the seafoam is supposed to do?

When you run seafoam into the intake via a vacuum hose it breaks up carbon and fuel deposits in the cumbustion chamber and throughout the intake and around the valves.

When you run seafoam into the oil it loosens oil sludge and deposits in th oilling system in the engine.

Be warned that either of these can cause some issues. I have done it on all of my vehicles as routine maintenance with no ill effects but some people have reported that running seafoam into the intake can cause CEL if added to fast, can foul up the o2 sensors also causing subsequent CEL, could also foul and or wreck the cats

Running seafoam in the engine oil prior to a change can cause large deposits of sludge to be drawn up into the oil sump pick-up screen and draw tube.

Some people swear by it and others swear it off after a bad situation. In the case of my 94 Ex it worked great (287K) miles and cleaned up some of the valve train noise.

If you do it and still have valve train noise you can try a few more times at regular maint intervals but chances are you just have worn pushrods and or valves

Oh I know I have worn pushrods, that is what the dealer said, along with rocker arms and lifters.
I was just hoping for a product that might by me some time with this engine.

Back