Time for tires and brakes need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires and brakes need help

Revenge

Reaction score
City, State
Edgewater
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 V8
MY2007 Explorer Sport Trac Limited needs new tires and brake pads. I think I am gonna get a set of Kumho tires but I really need help with what brake pads to get for this truck. My truck seems to not stop too well IMO, anyone have any ideas on what I should get. $$ is not really and issue, I just want to stop better. thanks:chug::usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stopping shouldn't be an issue on your Trac, not a common complaint. Bendix makes excellent pads, (Bendix Fleet MetLok's) as do others. Be sure to surface the rotors and a fluid flush isn't very expensive either. You may have some air in the lines. Do you have good "pedal"?

I like NAPA Ceramix pads, good feel, little dust, and don't cost a ton.

The pedal feels like it wants to push back a bit, it also is not consistant. At a light if feels like I need to apply a bit more pressure or I will roll forward as I sit there. I was told by the dealer that I have 2-3mm left, so I want to get the best brake possible for the money and I will have the fluid changed.

I tend to change my pads every year on my truck. for $20.00 a set why would you take the chance of having pads eat rotors?

and if you run over sized tires like I do and others here on the site, the brake pads bear the brunt of this. so it only makes sense to check and or replace every year.

I do it too because I have inspection to go through every year.

sounds like you have air in the brake lines.

What you describe is not due to the pad life left. You either have air in the line or a marginally functioning booster. Fluid level in the master cylinder will get very low when the pads are about worn out. You have checked this level haven't you? Have you gotten a red brake indicator lamp?

You CAN get $20 pad sets but the premium semi-metallics and ceramics will run you more. You get what you pay for.

Back