timing chain issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

timing chain issue

Marcin

Reaction score
Hi All

I am thinking about buying Explorer. The car is year 1999 (November 1999) 70k miles, SOHC 4.0. But I have read abou timing chain issue. Is that model free of the issue? If not when to change timing chain?

Regards, Marcin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

70k miles isn't a lot. Without being pessimistic I would plan on the possibility of replacing the chains and tensioners and work from there. If you read then you know that you can drive an explorer on repair expense of less than $75 per month. I would keep that much set aside and smile.

First you said USD and that may mean that you may pay more for parts. A new car will cost me about $500/mo USD for 5 yrs. If I save $75/mo the used vehicle repairs rarly are devistating nor hard to work on for a shade tree mechanic. I am not a big spender!

My figures are based on driving two generations of explorers for the last ten years.

My opinion is that good transportation can be had on the cheap. A car is rarely an investment but a per mile expense.

I think in terms of money per usage and I am sorry if I didn't one up my neighbors.

My explorer gets fair fuel econ (21 mpg) and has many luxuries.

Just an opinion though.

Back