Timing Chain Questions Starting this Friday | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain Questions Starting this Friday

gladiatorxxx

Reaction score
City, State
boston, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hi guys,

Starting my LH cassette change Friday, and have a few points I need clarification on.

1. How do you hold the jackshaft so you can remove the bolt. Although I’ll put the harmonic balancer back on with the OTC timing tool holding it at TDC seems pressure by loosening the bolt might bend the tool.
2. I see 2 bolts recommended for torque plus 90 degree additional turn. The harmonic balancer and the jackshaft bolt. These I will replace as new.
3. The camshaft bolts should I buy new? Is there a risk using old? Also are the left hand loosen for front & rear?
4. On the timing chain is you remove the guide & tensioner is there enough slack in the chain to remove it off the sprocket?
5. How is the related LH cam sprocket which is on the jackshaft held on behind the timing sprocket? Is there a key of some sort?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replacing front cassette

1. How do you hold the jackshaft so you can remove the bolt. Although I’ll put the harmonic balancer back on with the OTC timing tool holding it at TDC seems pressure by loosening the bolt might bend the tool.
I agree the crankshaft holding tool is rather flimsy. I used a chain and some scrap bolts and washers to hold the jackshaft sprocket from rotating.
JSprkLsn.jpg

Please excuse the sludge shown in my engine. The previous owner lived in Texas for several years and I suspect removed the thermostat in an ignorant attempt to prevent overheating. I replaced the single row radiator with a double row.

2. I see 2 bolts recommended for torque plus 90 degree additional turn. The harmonic balancer and the jackshaft bolt. These I will replace as new.
It is standard practice not to reuse torque-to-yield bolts. My Haynes manual specifies the jackshaft front sprocket retaining bolt as 31 to 34 ft-lbs plus 75 degrees (33 ft-lbs + 90 in 2005 assembly instructions) and the crankshaft damper bolt as 44 ft-lbs plus 90 degrees (37 ft-lbs + 90 in 2005 assembly instructions) My 2000 shop manual specifies 33 ft-lbs + 90 for both bolts.

3. The camshaft bolts should I buy new? Is there a risk using old? Also are the left hand loosen for front & rear?
The camshaft sprocket retaining bolts are very strong. I reused mine with no problems. The left (front) bolt loosens counter-clockwise while the right (rear) loosens clockwise. They tighten in the same direction that the camshaft rotates. That way they don't come loose.

4. On the timing chain is you remove the guide & tensioner is there enough slack in the chain to remove it off the sprocket?
Are you referring to the left camshaft guide assembly and hydraulic/spring tensioner or the primary (crankshaft to jackshaft) chain guide and tensioner?

5. How is the related LH cam sprocket which is on the jackshaft held on behind the timing sprocket? Is there a key of some sort?
The only key is on the crankshaft. All of the other sprockets are held in position by the torque on the sprocket retaining bolts.

If you're going to the trouble to replace the left cassette I suggest that you also replace the primary tensioner and guide. The tensioner has been significantly improved since 2000.
Tensioners.jpg

Also, you have to remove the front jackshaft sprocket in order to replace the left camshaft chain.
Projectthread067.JPG

Anytime the front jackshaft sprocket is loosened or removed both camshafts have to be retimed.

You may be interested in reviewing my timing chain related helpful threads. If you would like a copy of the 2005 Mustang SOHC V6 assembly instructions PM me your e-mail address.

What holds the cam sprocket behind the primary timing chain sprocket? I ordered mine, and have not received the cassette with sprockets yet, but it looks to be fairly flat with no grooves or keys. Since I have not open the truck up yet, I figured its just held in place by the jack sprocket & bolt.

On the slack, I was trying to cheat, and see if I can remove the timing chain without removing the jackshafy bolt and sprocket. Figured if I remove the primary guide, and tensioner, maybe there was enough slack to remove it.

removing left chain

The left camshaft chain cannot be removed without removing the jackshaft front sprocket. The primary chain cannot be removed without removing the jackshaft front sprocket and crankshaft sprocket with chain as an assembly. The two sprockets and chain slide forward together off their respective shafts. Removing the primary tensioner and guide does not give enough slack to remove the chain - thankfully or many engines would be destroyed when the primary tensioner fails.

Ok...also the right and read tensioners...one is longer than the other???

Yet the tensioner tool is only one length for both correct. Guess siince its a solid shaft vs. the spring loaded it accounts for both sizes of the lt & rt spring load tensioners when doing the timing.

Back