SOHC broken timing chain questions, OHV swap reasonable? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC broken timing chain questions, OHV swap reasonable?

I know it's an old thread but I want to make something clear to the readers here.

I am running a trans that originally came out of a 3.8 L. Cougar in my '94 Lincoln Mark VIII, 4.6 V8 DOHC. It FITS perfectly, I've been running it for more than 3 years now with no problems. My suggestion was for getting rid of the front/rear cam chain design engines and using an engine that has fewer problems. A V8. If you doubt what I say you may come to my home and read the numbers on my trans and then check it out. I'll even take you for a short ride.

The V6 and V8 explorer engines have different bellhousings, like others said. It would not be possible to use the better 4R70W. That trans SHOULD have been in every explorer but that is another story.

Also, running a V6 4R70W in a Mark is not the best idea, the V6 trans has fewer direct clutches to handle less power. Not saying it wont work but its not the best setup for longevity. I hope you have a good cooler.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

and the Essex plant is now gearing up to build a 4.6L Mustang GT motor like no other we have seen before...because it's a 5.0L.

Well, guess what call I got yesterday? :) The replacement SOHC motor is now about to fail. How involved is an OHV swap? What years of the OHV be easiest/best?

Aww man that sucks....The only thing I really see being involved is computer swapping, because the motor mounts are the same on the OHV and takes the same transmission but due to returnless fuel system you would need a believe 99 or 00 OHV or get an ohv from 96-00 but swap fuel rails if its not a 99-00. I certainly think the OHV would be the best choice if I wouldn't have gotten a good deal from Spas on here I would have gone that route with my 00. There was also the guy here with the 94 Sport that swapped in a SOHC from an 02 ranger I believe and used his OHV computer and tapped into wires on the SOHC motor so I believe it could be done vise versa but could see CEL's coming up.

The SOHC'd Ex is a 97. To be clear the 97 SOHC would be returnless?

Oh hell I'm sorry duh I forgot your uncle had a 97. The 97 is return style fuel injection so you could use 96-98 but because of the pats being introduced in 98 not sure if that could pose a problem or if it was mainly electronics interior wise that changed.

OK, so I'll look for a 96 or 97 motor.

Yea...you could go 95 but I think you have to change the intake manifold and not sure what else since the 95 is an OBD1 for simplicity 96,97 would be more of a direct swap.

Not worth the effort

From a resale or replacement vehicle standpoint a 1997 Explorer isn't worth the cost and effort associated with a conversion from SOHC to OHV. It's a huge amount of effort for less performance and nonstandard configuration maintenance issues. My suggestion would be to buy an OHV vehicle of the same year with a good engine and transmission and sell the failed engine vehicle for parts after stripping off anything needed for the newly purchased vehicle.

Resale is a moot point. These vehicles get driven to death. As for less performance, that's fine, if the other option is a flawed design piece of crap. If this particular truck doesn't get fixed another one won't be purchased, it'll just rot in their truck graveyard next to the first gen Ex, and gang of franken-chevies.

The OHV maybe lesser performance but would much prefer it over the SOHC I've had the ohv in other ex's including the 96 of course and have gotten over 200k without major mechanical issues like that of which occur with the SOHC. If it were me I would go for it, its cheaper than buying another vehicle and with the ohv power train the explorer is likely to last a good bit longer.

Back