• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain rattle

Josef161

Reaction score
City, State
Kissimmee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005, Explorer xls
Hello, i have a 2005 explorer 4.0 liter sohc with 190k miles on it. About 5 months and 2k miles i started to hear a rattle that starts about 10 seconds after i start the engine. Sometimes the rattle goes away when the engine is hot sometimes it doesn't. Now i found out that it is due to a bad timing chain tensioner. I already ordered a new Motorcraft tensioner. My question is if the probability is high that the new tensioner will kill the timing chain and if i should leave the old tensioner in. I would highly prefer to change it but i am not sure about it. I don't know if and how much the cassettes are damaged but there is no rattle for the first few seconds after a start up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most folks replace everything at once since it's such a pain to get to.

Oh i want to try if 2 new chain tensioner fix my problem because the car is worth less then to get a new timing chain by an indy shop. I just fear that the extra tension due to the new chain tensioner would be too much and destroy the cassettes/guides and finally the timing chain. I would like to get 1-4 more years out of my explorer (about 10-40k miles).

The problem is that you’ve been driving with chain slap, and that eats away at the guides.
I’d expect no problem with new tensioners, but if the guides are now wore down, you could have issues.
These 4.0’s are known to go with little warning. I’d say your pushing it with 2k on rattles.

The problem is that you’ve been driving with chain slap, and that eats away at the guides.
I’d expect no problem with new tensioners, but if the guides are now wore down, you could have issues.
These 4.0’s are known to go with little warning. I’d say your pushing it with 2k on rattles.

Thabk you for the advise. The thing is that the rattle is only in idle and in "D" when not moving. i have read that it should be safe to do if i check the oil pan and i can't find plastic parts in it. What do you think?

Thabk you for the advise. The thing is that the rattle is only in idle and in "D" when not moving. i have read that it should be safe to do if i check the oil pan and i can't find plastic parts in it. What do you think?
I’d try it. Easiest fix if it works. Tensioners are externally mounted. Just make sure you prime them with oil first.
The timing on these 4.0’s have been known to let go with zero rattle. Interference engine means, new engine.

I’d try it. Easiest fix if it works. Tensioners are externally mounted. Just make sure you prime them with oil first.
The timing on these 4.0’s have been known to let go with zero rattle. Interference engine means, new engine.

Finally i had the time to replace the timing chain tensioner and unfortnately it made it way worse. Now i have the rattle all the time and really loud. Could it be that i did undplugged a vacuum line or something like that and thats causing some loud noise or is it almost for sure the timing chain? Would be nice if someone could help me or if you need further information ask me.

If it is the timing chain i would just drive it until the chain fails completely and eighter try a junkyard engine or buy another explorer (the price dropped a lot here in central florida, i saw several 2002-2005 explorer with 100k miles on them for 1500-2000).

Back