Timing Chain replacement 4.6- FAIL | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain replacement 4.6- FAIL

Just take the 3 differential mounting bolts out to where the cv axles rest on the lower arm, That will give you enough clearance to get it out.

I just thought i would wrap this thread up for some future reader who might be looking for info.

I did not drop the oil pan. Instead i dumped large ammount of kerosene through the engine and directly into the front of the pan with the oil pump off. I also blew air down the oil pump pickup.

Then i drained all that crap, installed a new oil pump and put it all back together.

It's been running pretty well for a couple weeks. Oil pressure seems low- after warmup it stays at 1PSI / 100 RPM so it's only 20PSI cruising down hte highway. My cheap mechanical gauge might be wrong but i don't think so.

It was totally worth it to remove the radiator and AC. I hooked it back up, vaccuumed the AC and replaced the R134. It works great.

Be extra extra careful removing the valve covers. THey are made of paper machet. Very easy to crack or chip when you wrestle them out from under all the hoses and wires. I broke the drivers side. I went to a PickNPull and found the drivers side missing on 4 different vehicles. I called a used parts place and he was ready to sell me one but his dismantler broke it getting it off. I found one eventually.

On the passengers side i made a small chip on the inside as it hit the rockers. That chip caused problems getting a good seal.

I cannot imagine doing this job without an 8mm and 10mm gear wrench, especially on the power steering pump.

good luck

Back