• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain Tensioner ONP

rickal62

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT
I've spent the last hour searching this forum. I found a lot of useful information, but was unable to find exactly what I was looking for.

I have a 2001 Explorer with the 4.0 Litre engine. I took it to the Ford dealer yesterday and they confirmed my fear -- the timing chain tensioners need to be replaced. They are going to replace both tensioners for a cost of $1,155.00. My question is: What model years did the 00M12 and 01M01 Owner Notification Programs cover?

01M01 is for 1997 and 1998. 00M12 covers 1997-2000 Explorers and 2001 Sport and SportTrac built before April 7, 2000.

I paid the $1,200.00 to have the tensioner replaced. I asked Ford to save the parts they replaced. They gave me two parts. One them is all brown plastic with two metal holes where it is bolted on. The other is mostly metal with a brown plastic cover where the chain rides. I can see where the chain was rubbing but both parts appear to have very little wear. The noise is completely gone...but I have a feeling I just made a contribution to Ford....

What do you experts think? I have a picture of both parts, but could not find how to attach them to this thread.

Back