• Register Today It's free!

TINT QUESTION

97splorer

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0 AWD
HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT TINTING THE FRONT WINDOWS OF MY X TO MATCH THE BACK? THE BACK HAS KIND OF A MIRROR TINT TO IT. I'VE SEEN OTHER EXPLORERS WITH THAT AND REGULAR BLACK TINT IN THE FRONT AND IT LOOKS BAD. DO THEY MAKE A TINT TO MATCH?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes, its a bronze colored tint, any good tint shop should have it.

looks much better, i had my front darked to 35%, and my back done up to 20% on top of stock... looks very sharp

Check your local laws in your state, as tinting front windows is usually illegal. You don't want to tint tem, and have to rip it off a week later.

By the way, typing in all caps is considered SHOUTING :frustrate around here. Just a little heads up.......

i had mine done and i have an eddie bauer, no matter what you do it will not be a perfect match. I was talkin to a tint guy down by my school and he said that he heard that the best stuff is actually bronze tint for houses, it takes foreve to dry but is a close match evidently.

THANKS FOR THE INFO, AND BY THE WAY I LIVE IN KANSAS, AND JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING IS LEGAL TO DO TO A CAR. WE DON'T EVEN HAVE VEHICLE INSPECTIONS. BUT THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP.

any good tint shop should have bronze tint?!?! i went to 2 very reputable ones that said they couldnt get any where near matching it. therefore my search continues...

damn, i live in jersey, its completely opposite, i doubt its legal to have the back windows tinted anymore...

like i said... any GOOD tint shop... i went to one thats been in business for 12 something years... go to one thats been in business awhile, if they do good work, and dont have warrantee problems, they'll have been around awhile.

my bronze tint took about 2 days to fully dry, little airbubbles and such, but after that, its incredible, i can see out pretty clearly at nite, but from the outside you can barely see in the back during the day, much less at nite, and the front tint, a little too lite, but at least its legal.

They can easily match the bronze color, but matching the overall look of the factory tint is hard. The factory tint is in the glass, while aftermarket tint is on the glass. This makes their reflective and opaque qualities slightly different.

And as far as I know, you can tint any window other than the windshield or front windows as dark as you want as long as you have side mirrors; in any state. Degree of front tinting varies by state.

And AMerrBauer, please limit your signature to 6 lines as per the rules of this site. Thanks!

Good luck to you tinters.

well I had this same conversation with the best window tinting guy around my area and he says he couldn't match the bronze color of my privacy glass. So I got the darkest stuff possible, u can tell if u r looking for it specifically. Only cost me like 74 bux so I can't complain.

157213_49_full.jpg

dang defiant guy, i like your x!

inspections...

When I had blackbox tinted, I went to this shop and had to pay some lady in cash to get my front ones done. They are illegal but what isn't on my truck. I had the front ones tinted %10 and the back ones were already pretty dark. Looks nice... BTW, looks good defiantguy.

(always have to give a suggestion... paint that front and rear bumper either red or black... it'll look good)

Re: inspections...

Originally posted by LowdPypes

(always have to give a suggestion... paint that front and rear bumper either red or black... it'll look good)

ya I was planning on doing that sometime soon. Whenever my dad gets a break from work to do it.

Correct me if Im wrong Lowdpypes, but in NC...to get the inspection sticker it doesnt matter if it is the front or the back....they have to be a certain tint..?

yup...

they were going to scrapem and I was like f*&$ no. Seems as though the cops are paranoid about people in the rear seat blowin a cap off through the window at them. It happened about 7 years ago and they start to initiate the whole tinting thing then. My boy just gives me a sticker... how far are you from Wilmington?

I live in Charleston, SC....about 3 hours from there, but I was stationed in Jacksonville for almost 3 years and met a girl there so I spent most my time in Wilmington. I might end up moving there when I get back from Japan in 7 months.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back