Tips on removal of front window motor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tips on removal of front window motor?

LStoudenmire

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Well, it appears my front motor is broken. Window is stuck in down position. Switch appears to be ok,as I switched with another switch with same outcome.

The relay located behind the door panel close to courtesy light is clicking, and there is a clicking noise close to the window motor.

So I am assuming that it is the motor. Can anyone give me any info on how to remove it? I've removed a few bolts from the door around the window motor, but it doesn't appear to be budging.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is what I did, my motor was good, but the plastic gears that are inside the motor were shot. Go to home depot with your motor and buy 4-5 nuts that will fit inside the gear covers and put it back together. I've had mine for 2 years now.You will have to drill a few holes to get the motor out, but will be worth it in the long run. Mike

If you would like me to help guide you through this, I will be home all day Sat & Sun.You could call me and I will help you through it. My door panels are off , as I am going through alot of restoration & rebuild. Mike

You probably need new rollers in the window motor- you can get some rod and cutt some to length, or order a new gear kit from south florida window.

heres some pics of the motor I took out.

615window_motor_puke.jpg

pic of removal holes

heres a pic that may help in removing the motor

Dead Link Removed

The red marks-
-box is around the electtrical connector
-the circle is around the hole you need to drill to access the nuts - there is a dimple in the location, drill it to 1/2"
-the arrows point to the existing access holes

You disconnect the electric
drill the hole
remove the 3 machine screws-11mm I think
pull the motor out and replace or take it apart and replace the rollers.

You will drop the bolts into the door- a magnetic picker is almost a must.
Once you get the door trim off and the hole drilled the rest is cake.

Good luck

See that picture that Steve has, just get 3 nuts to fit in the triangle and you are set. Mike

Thanks Guys. I believe I have it fixed...for now. I found a post about drilling the hole in the dimple, and boy, he wasn't joking when saying it was a dimple, very small.

Well, I got it loose and as soon as I slipped the motor off the gear, it started working. I think it was just in a bind. At least now, I know what to do IF I do have to replace the motor.

Gimp, thankfully I haven't soundproofed the door yet. Plan on doing it now as well as other door maintenance, now that I have the door panel off. Been putting some things off until now.

Thanks again Guys.

I just wanted to say thanks to SteveVB for posting that picture, I just replaced my driver's side window motor today in my explorer. I have taken off the panel before and noticed the bolts but never could figure out where that third one was, luckily I stumbled upon this post before going through the most expensive route.

window motor

ok, i have been reading all these post and they are very helpful.my driver side window just went out on me today.i took the panel off and when i tried to power down the window, i can hear a click but no motor noise. i'm assuming it is the window motor.i've removed almost everything except those rivets and 2 nuts that are about 1 inch behind the metal panel.i will have to find a tool that can reach that.my next question is what is all this noise about drilling the other screws.is that necessary.i hope not cause i don't own a drill. also is there anyway i can check the elctrical to make sure that it is ok.some help would be greatly appreciated since this incident has completely disabled my vehicle.i had to park it in my girlfriend's garage cause the window is stuck in a down position and i don't want to leave it at my apt. complex like that.funny how such a little thing can cause so much trouble.

Look at the pic above or in my gallery for larger. You can pull the electrical connector and check switch action and power.

Yes you have to drill the hole to get at the 3rd nut. You can rent a drill and bits from any rental store if you dont have one, or cant borrow one from a friend.

Good Luck

well i finally got the motor.the rivets gave me a hard time.i would like to find the ford engineer that designed this door.i've replace maxima and accord power window motor before with minimal time (30 mins.). it was all nuts and bolts. no drilling necessary. also these rivets that they have, i can't seem to find a tool to put them on. i've opted to put bolts and nuts in placed of the rivets. i also have one more thing to ask. after taking out the motor, i tested it and its working now.so maybe it was stuck in a bind somehow. i have a feeling that this will happen again. does anyone know what the bad part may be?do i need to change the motor?

Well i got the motor out and it works fine.So I'm putting it back but i can't remember how it went.does anyone know if you have to bend the spring tension regulator a certain way to get this to fit right. Is it best to do this with the window up or down.My chilton manual does not mention anything about replacing the power window motor.

Back