• Register Today It's free!

Tire Chains S class?

JohnsIsland

Reaction score
City, State
Washington (the state)
Year, Model & Trim Level
96/97 Mercury Mountaineer
Brrrr, it's cold and snow is in the forecast for my area. I will be heading over the Snoqualmie pass this weekend and want to CYA.

Washington state exempts 4WD and AWD vehicles from chaining up on mountain passes if you carry tire chains. Sounds crazy? I suspect they want you to have chains in case the snow really hits the pass, haha.

The owners manual for my 1997 Mountaineer AWD says I have to use S class chains. Hard for me to believe there isn't room for reinforced chains. Has anyone had experience using reinforced chains? Where is the limited clearance? Or is Ford just covering there rear?

First snow on the road and I bet there are a few wild and crazy drivers on the road.

Thanks,

Jeff

Plenty of clearance on the rear tires. Fronts have limited clearance when turning. Chains may catch the sway bar end links, so yeah you need the tighter cables. Do recommend you put on 4 since you have AWD. The system needs all the tires to be same circumference when driving or it will bind.

Darn, I forgot about AWD and all tires same diameter and traction, which I can see means same chain status. Although if you were running on on snow/ice, would that allow sufficent slip?

Surprising I forgot about how AWD would affect chain status. I just had 3/32 shaved off a replacement tire so I wouldn't cause a problem.

Thanks for the reply and good information.

Jeff

Back