Tire chains for 20" wheels? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire chains for 20" wheels?

30 yr loyal Ford

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Looking at 2012 Explorer Limited with 4WD for California mountain ski areas. Owner's manual page 250 says tire chains cannot be put on 20" wheels. California law requires 4WD vehicles to carry chains, during snow conditions. Limited only comes with 20" wheels. I'd greatly appreciated any thoughts or comments. Thanks.

ps This is my first posting. Have been following forum for several months. It's great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking at 2012 Explorer Limited with 4WD for California mountain ski areas. Owner's manual page 250 says tire chains cannot be put on 20" wheels. California law requires 4WD vehicles to carry chains, during snow conditions. Limited only comes with 20" wheels. I'd greatly appreciated any thoughts or comments. Thanks.

ps This is my first posting. Have been following forum for several months. It's great!
Does the law say that you have to use them or just carry them?
It appears you are in an unfortunate situation. 20" wheels are on option on the XLT but for some reason smaller wheels are not an option on the Limited. I have the Limited with 20" wheels and for Winter, I will be ordering the Base model 17" steel wheels on which to mount my 17" Winter tires. You do have an option to mount the 17" or 18" wheels but that would be another expense. I guess you would have to decide if the extra expense is worth it.
Also, welcome to the Forum 30 yr loyal Ford.:wavey:

Peter

Chain update in CA

I live at the base of chain control in CA and I just switched from the F250 to the Explorer. The new law is only to have the chains in possession not to install them. As long as you have 4 wheel drive you are ok. I was only stopped once last winter with my F250 4x4 and they did check to make sure I had a set of chains in possession.

Just go and find the cheapest set you can and throw them in the car. I found a pair on line for $35.00.

**Once in a blue moon you will have the Sierra's with maximum chain enforcement. They will require the chains to be installed. I would advise not to be driving during that time. I don't think the Sierra's ever hit maximum enforcement last winter.

I still have to read if chains installed on the Explorer void the warranty if you have damage caused from them. My F250 did have that language in the manual so be careful.

Love my new Explorer.

Would the "fake chains" that I have seen do the trick? I'm talking about the type that are more like large aircraft cable that you cinch around the tire? This would probably work since there is no slack in the cable, would hopefully satisfy them, and would give you a little more traction if you actually needed them.

We are in Oregon & occasionally chains are needed/required. Our old Nissan Murano said the same thing but there were eventually chains available that fit, it is likely a clearance issue on the inside of the tires. My bet is there will be chains available, we too are going to have to find them.

Yes, they only need to be carried with 4wd in ca, glad to see a fellow eagle lake person in the forum, love the place, been going there off and on for 17 years.

4x4 tire chains

I bought high quality chains for my Expedition 4x4, and used them once.

Freak late afternoon snowstorm hit Mt. Baldy, CA. (only one road in and out) Stranded all. Only when CalTrans was finally able to put gravel on the road was it reopened. (CA doesn't use salt) Being one of the 4x4s, I chained up and was able to help lead a convoy safely down the hill. Those chains were worth their weight in gold that day.

I'm still searching to understand why Ford owner's manual says "no traction devices" should be used on 2012 Explorer with 20" wheels.

I understand that chains cannot be used...but cables can.

I'm confused as to why a law would require 4wd vehicles to have chains.:scratch:

I know nothing of driving in snow being from Georgia. Is this a common law?

If you live in CA or OR and want to go over any mountain passes, then chains are required to be in your vehicle. Road conditions will be posted along the highway stating if chains are required to be actually used on your vehicle.

Regardless of using them or not, if you want to proceed over that mountain, you are required to carry chains in your vehicle. Police can stop you and request to see them and fine you or require you to turn around if you don't have them.

This law requires that even 4wd and awd vehicles carry chains. Road conditions will mandate if those vehicles need to use their chains or not.

Hope this information was useful.

So it does apply to 2wd as well I assume? Just seemed an odd requirement to put on 4wd vehicles. Makes sense if it's a requirement of all vehicles to pass through a certain area.

I have a 2012 Explorer limited 4x4 with 20in wheels. Test fitted my scc z chains (taken from my FX 35 AWD 20in wheeels) just to see the issue involved. They are dangerously close to the brake line. I think that if driven with them on the rear wheels, it would take about 3 mins for them to loosen up a bit and then sever the brake line. Bummed because on occasion I need to use them to haul snow mobiles up pretty steep grades.

Dealer helps solve 20" wheel dilemma

I purchased from dealer stock a 2012 Explorer Limited 4wd. With some major negotiating, dealer was willing to swap out 20" wheels and put 18" wheels on it. I take a financial loss, but got wheels I can now put cables on for CA mountain roads. The big plus: a much better and softer ride on the 18s! I love my Explorer!

I'm thinking about test fitting my scc low profile chains on the front tires. The 2012 4x4 is primarily a front wheel drive car so I hope it works. Any thoughts?

So it does apply to 2wd as well I assume? Just seemed an odd requirement to put on 4wd vehicles. Makes sense if it's a requirement of all vehicles to pass through a certain area.

Not really an odd requirement. Most of those AWD vehicles are running on all season or summer tires neither of which are any good in deep snow and ice.

I'm going to use dedicated snow tires on our Explorer as we go up to NH, ME, VT from Boston to ski. Although they won't see any real action 75% of the time, it's worth the peace of mind to me.

Do they require you carry chains if you have snow tires?

Not really an odd requirement. Most of those AWD vehicles are running on all season or summer tires neither of which are any good in deep snow and ice.

I'm going to use dedicated snow tires on our Explorer as we go up to NH, ME, VT from Boston to ski. Although they won't see any real action 75% of the time, it's worth the peace of mind to me.

Do they require you carry chains if you have snow tires?
Snow tires is an outdated term. In most advertising now they are referred to correctly as Winter tires, at least here in Canada. So called all season tires begin to lose traction at just 44 F on bare roads. Winter tires with a different and usually softer rubber compound will provide a greater margin of safety and grip under those conditions. So your Winter tires will likely serve you better for much more than 75% of the time.
I swapped out my 20" OEM's on my Limited for the base model 17" steel wheels and Winter tires. Oh yes, it also reduces my yearly insurance rate 5%.:)

Funny this question has been posted... I had exactly the same concern when I purchased my '97 Explorer way back when. I actually went so far as to call the CHP. Here's what THEY told me. The law is accurate. You have to carry them. However, they realize that its a law that, while he didn't use the term 'flawed', needs revisiting.

They told me in Calif they would close a road well before they would require a 4WD to put on chains. I going to Tahoe this weekend, and while no major snow event is forecasted, I am not bringing chains. Nor will I ever buy them. My garage is full of 4 sets purchased over the years. They are $$$ and I am certain I won't need them for my current Explorer. But as hinted at previously... if its a 'better to be safe than sorry' concern do what you think is best.

The difference between cables and chains are vibration. Larger trucks have heavy duty tires and suspension systems and body structure. So they can take the pounding chains can produce. Car on the other hand have lighter duty suspension systems so cable type traction systems are better suited for these. After surviving three winters in Fairbanks, AK I had both on the same vehicle ('84 Camaro) and can tell you that when I had the chains on it felt like the car was going to come apart. Cables on the other hand was much more smoother.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2012 Ford Explorer 4 wheel drive. I tested some s CC cable chains on the rear and they will definitely sever the brake line if used.there is more clearance to use them on the front axles. I live in California, I drive to Mammoth 10 * a year. Before the CHP requires you to put chains on a 4 wheel drive vehicle with all wheel all season tires, they will close the road. So all you need to do is carry them to get past a checkpoint but you will not have to use them because before you do they will close the road.

Back