Tire chains for 20" wheels? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire chains for 20" wheels?

I guess you don't get that much snow on the Bay area anyway but you could if you go up into the higher elevations. It would help if you added 'Platinum' to the profile so any answers to future posts will take the trim into account.
I have OEM 20" but throw on 18" steelies for Winter. Good luck.
BTW, my sister lives in San Jose.

Peter

The last time it snowed here was in 1979. Sometimes it gets on the surrounding hills for a day.. around 1500 feet. But that's only a few times a year.

I'm more thinking of the once or twice a year trip to the Sierras with the kids. Gotta have chains in the car.. thought it would good to have some I could actually use if needed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SNOW CHAINS for 2013 EXPLORER SPORT

SNOW CHAINS ON NEWER FORD EXPLORER SPORT?
The Ford Owner's Manual says NO, but the reality is YES.

Prior to a trip to Yosemite where chains were required (to have on you, at the least) I needed an authoritative answer.

THULE sent me a set of their low-profile and easy-to-install/remove XG-12 Pro 265s to test. I took my 2013 Ford Explorer Sport with the stock wheels and tires (255) to a local Ford dealership and installed them on the front tires. Then we put it on a rack and looked underneath to inspect clearance.

The closest distance between the steel cable running on the inside of the tire to the shock was around 11.5 mm. If you install the chains properly-- evenly around the tire-- you're good to go in that regard.

We backed the vehicle off the rack and tested for clearance inside the wheel well, turning the steering wheel all the way to the left and to the right. The chains did not touch the wheel well but they were VERY CLOSE in the rear part of the well (nearest the front doors.) If some ice or gravel got stuck in the chains and you turned the wheel it would abrade the inside of the wheel well (which is plastic), but scratches would seem to be be only cosmetic. I was OK with that. (What's the alternative? No Yosemite trip? Sliding off a mountainside?)

There was significantly more space on the back tires, and after consulting with a Ford front-end tech experienced in driving in snow and ice and a Ford service advisor, we concluded putting them on the rear tires was a better choice even though it's a front-wheel drive vehicle (until 4WD automatically kicks in when things start slipping.)

THULE XG-12 Pro 265 is the only solution.

You're welcome.

(If there was a way to post photos here I would. I have several taken beneath the vehicle showing the clearance.)

can't put chains on the 20" rims

HI, we bought the 20" rims on our Explorer and found out that we can't put snow chains on that truck because there is not enough room. Had to buy something called 'blades' that were very expensive and are not recognized by the CHP, but apparently they use them in Tahoe all the time. Just saying!

HI, we bought the 20" rims on our Explorer and found out that we can't put snow chains on that truck because there is not enough room. Had to buy something called 'blades' that were very expensive and are not recognized by the CHP, but apparently they use them in Tahoe all the time. Just saying!
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your post with this thread.

Peter

Tire chains for 2013 Explorer limited with 20 inch wheels

I have a 2013 Explorer Limited AWD and was not aware until after I bought the vehicle that you cannot use chains or cables with the 20" tires that came on the vehicle. Apparently there are clearance issues with the brake lines and possibly suspension parts as well. My plan was to put 18" tires and wheels and swap out the 20" in the winter. This brought up issues of where to store the tires that were not in use, having to pay to swap them out, TPMS issues and possible errors in the speedo due to the smaller tires. In looking around I found something called Thule K-Summit XXL traction devices. For my Explorer the size is K67 (tire size 255 50 20). These fit on the outside and on top of the tire and nothing hangs over on the back side to get caught on brake lines etc. I test installed these yesterday and they are very easy to install and remove. You need to make sure you make the necessary adjustments before you actually need them as the same size is used for many different size tires. Once I made the adjustments I installed both of them in about 8 minutes. You do not need to jack up the car or crawl underneath. I haven't used them in snow yet but they look like they should be fine. They are not cheap ($550) but cheaper than buying a set of tires and wheels. Prices vary on the internet. I bought mine at Amazon for $430 and the next day they were up to $558. One local vendor was asking $620 so look around.
Hi. We're over from the uk on a season tour of the snow resorts. We've rented a cabin above park city and the owner says chains are a necessity. We picked the explorer from the rental company thinking it would be good option- little did we know! How did you go with the Thule summit chain system?

Also has anybody tried the peerless super z8 cable chains. It says they only need 8mm of room and a poster about says there was 11.4mm clearance

I founded this 6.3mm chains from Peerless.
Super Z6

According to their website SZ441 is the right size for 255/50-20 and someone confirmed that it works on Explorer in the review on amazon: Customer Review

Super Z6

According to their website SZ441 is the right size for 255/50-20 and someone confirmed that it works on Explorer in the review on amazon: Customer Review

In the end we bought Thule k summit XL. Work perfectly. They are a band round the central circumference of the tyre. Tighten with a simple ratchet mechanism. Took a few minutes of practice to get right then easy peasy to put on. Nothing at the back of the tyre so no worry about lines, wheel arch contact etc.

Super Z6

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The 2011 and 2012 Owner's Manuals state; Do not use tire chains, cables or optional traction devices on vehicles equipped with P255/50R20 tires.
The Manuals for the 2013 model and onward do not carry the same warning. :dunno:

Peter

In the end we bought Thule k summit XL. Work perfectly. They are a band round the central circumference of the tyre. Tighten with a simple ratchet mechanism. Took a few minutes of practice to get right then easy peasy to put on. Nothing at the back of the tyre so no worry about lines, wheel arch contact etc.
James, do you really have a 2105 Explorer? Might be an idea to correct your profile.:)

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The 2011 and 2012 Owner's Manuals state; Do not use tire chains, cables or optional traction devices on vehicles equipped with P255/50R20 tires.
The Manuals for the 2013 model and onward do not carry the same warning. :dunno:

Peter
My 2013 Limited says not to use chains or cables with the 20 inch wheels. You can get 17 inch or 18 inch wheels and tires that allow you to use chains. I believe the issue is clearance between the chains and the brake lines. When I bought my Explorer it came with 20 inch. No options were available.

James, do you really have a 2105 Explorer? Might be an idea to correct your profile.:)
Why do you say that? No I don't as it was a rental from national car. However it was pretty much brand new in Jan 2016 when picked up from Seattle airport. Can't see how it was anything other than a 2015. The chains were perfect. Like I said they do not envelope the tyre so there is nothing to catch between the tyre wall and the inside of the wheel arch

My 2013 Limited says not to use chains or cables with the 20 inch wheels. You can get 17 inch or 18 inch wheels and tires that allow you to use chains. I believe the issue is clearance between the chains and the brake lines. When I bought my Explorer it came with 20 inch. No options were available.
You are correct but it is a different warning which doesn't actually specify size. It states; Do not use tire chains on the original wheels and tires of your vehicle. The use of any type of tire chain on these tires may damage your vehicle. This would include the OEM 18" wheels.

Peter

Back