• Register Today It's free!

Tire decision

MINERALGSVT

Reaction score
City, State
Carmel, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Saleen XP8
My wife's 99 5.0 EB needs tires... currently have Michelin Cross Terrains, which she loves... Quiet, good in rain, some snow.

I just don't want to pay that price.

I've narrowed it down to the General Grabber HTS (great reviews on tire rack, consumer reports), and the BFG Long Trail Tour.

Of course, her x does not go offroad, so mainly looking for quiet, good handling in rain and some light snow.

Any experience with those tires? Or something I've missed?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a set of the BFG Long Trails on my Ex right now. So far I am very pleased with them and have plans to replace them with the same tire when these wear out. They are wearing very well and are very quiet. They have excellent grab in the rain and are pretty good in snow. IMO they're a great tire for the price and I recommend them.

I work for a BJ's tire center, so i know a little about the BFG, i don't have any experience with the Generals, but if they got a good review online i won't disagree. but BFG came out with the touring to compete with the Cross terrain, so if you wanted a very simliar tire, i would go with that, and seeing as they are both owned by michelin, it won't be far off at all. They're going to be comparable performance, for a cheeper price, buy away is my opinion.

And for james, i don't know if it's all retailers, but i think.. not sure, but i think, that the Long trails, were replaced with the long trail touring, if you have the touring then i miss read them, but i don't think they're made anymore.. just as an FYI

Justin

And for james, i don't know if it's all retailers, but i think.. not sure, but i think, that the Long trails, were replaced with the long trail touring, if you have the touring then i miss read them, but i don't think they're made anymore.. just as an FYI

Justin

Thanks, I didn't realize that there was a difference between the 2 tires. But you're right, I just looked up the touring and they have a very different tread pattern than my tires. The tread on the touring is a little less aggressive. MINERALGSVT, sorry my post above is for the Long Trails so you can disregard it.

Yes, it's a shame, the Longtrail T/A's were great tires, I had them on my '96 Explorer and they got me through some deep snow when others were finding themselves in the ditch.

Does anyone have experience with the BFG Rugged Trail T/A? They look a lot like the old Longtrails before they went to the touring profile.

rugged-trail-t-a.jpg

Back